Home > Trip Reports > February 3, 2008, Old Crystal Runs

February 3, 2008, Old Crystal Runs

2/3/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoseeker on 2/4/08 2:19pm
Jeez! ya gotta be quick with the 1-2-3 group! OK, here's the posting-pics to follow.

With the avalanche danger off the charts but all that new snow beckoning, RonJ, Jeanette, Darryl, and I headed up the old ski runs on the approach to Bullion Basin. A couple quick column tests along the cat track showed about 2-3 feet of new, unconsolidated snow that broke with a clean shear, probably on a hoar frost layer from a week and a half ago. With that in mind, we followed the existing skin tracks up, spacing out on the exposed faces up to the old liftee shack, but nothing moved.

So as the pros say, "why pass up good snow for more good snow," and off we went yo-yoing the old runs with DF turns all the way. Bottomless fluff on each turn! We worked our way across the area in search of the old "Ted's Run", but it proved elusive, maybe eaten up by the old avalanche path below "Ted's Buttress" (who is Ted anyway?!! and who cares-the fun is in the hunt). We ended the day with a secret stash of untracked. Good times had by all, even the pooches sliding on their bellies down the snowshoe tracks, then back in time to catch the last couple quarters of a history making Super Bowl game-many thanks for a GREAT DAY!!
It was a fantastic day at Crystal!  One thing nice about being a "geezer"  ;), and not being able to keep up with those fast kids, it forces us to explore some of the closer options for days such as this.  This option certainly paid off big time this past weekend with the massive amounts of new snow and high avalanche conditions.  We yo-yoed several runs, and were able to find lots of first tracks the whole day.  Our vantage point of Crystal ski area proper, looked like a very active aunt farm, with a steady stream of skiers constantly heading back toward the long lift lines.

Ah...so that was your group that had enjoyed Big Tree.  I was wondering who could have tracked it out so bad. ;D

So when you folks park for this tour/ski, are you parking in the ski area lots or is there an official snow park for backcountry.  Just wondering because I'm getting the idea that Crystal charges to park in their lot?  I'd like to head up that way and ski that area (after 26 years!!!!!) but don't want to have to pay a ski area to park my rig....  Hopefully my Oregon snow-park pass is good up there ...but would step up to the plate if I had too by a Wa. one (even if I am extremely frugal....).

Crystal only charges for car parking in the upper lot closest to the ticket booth, and I believe only part of that upper parking is pay to park, if your in an RV you can get info from the wwebsite http://www.skicrystal.com/1711.html .  We park in the "upper" C lot, used to be no one would ever park there, now on weekends its full of cars.

author=snoslut link=topic=9067.msg36565#msg36565 date=1202235608]
Ah...so that was your group that had enjoyed Big Tree.  I was wondering who could have tracked it out so bad. ;D
Yep that was us and a couple of others.  Heard you on the radio, and tried to call, but we must have been "chopped liver" since you didn't call back  ;)

Great TR "Snoseeker".
How lucky can you get?  You're afforded the unusual opportunities of:
1. learning "Geezer TR NotIt",
2. attending a MadDog apre' ski SuperBowl party with killer burgers & fries and,
3. you get to write your first TR on TAY!!

It can't get much better than that...

Oh, Wait! The skiing was:

It was amazing how stable the 1 day's settlement of the new snow had done a good job of bridging the weak layer that Bonnie mentioned.  We ski cut some serious rollovers and couldn't get anything to move.  Definately a positive with the maritime snow.
Nonetheless, our makeshift roadcut column tests made it crystal clear that there's still an easy, quick shearing layer beneath the 3+ ft of recent snow, behaving much like buried surface hoar.  It may pay to keep that in mind.

More photos HERE.

Great photos Jeanette and Ron. What a gorgeous snow day-better than bluebird! Thanks again.

On Sunday I was
author=snoseeker link=topic=9067.msg36547#msg36547 date=1202192364]
Jeez! ya gotta be quick with the 1-2-3 group! OK, here's the posting-pics to follow.

With the avalanche danger off the charts but all that new snow beckoning, RonJ, Jeanette, Darryl, and I headed up the old ski runs on the approach to Bullion Basin...

I was checking those old runs out Sunday from my vantage on Gun Tower Ridge. Next season, (I heard this project starts this summer) the new "used" chair, the old Milli chair from Brighton, will stretch from the B Lot back up there. So the "Old Crystal Runs" are going to be the new Crystal runs.

Your info about the Bullions Basin Chair is correct

I'm pretty sure Crystal yanked that old chair out (moved it to gold hills) because those slopes had trouble holding snow...Don't think it would be much different now-a-days?

author=ron j link=topic=9067.msg36580#msg36580 date=1202250681]
Great TR "Snoseeker".
How lucky can you get?  You're afforded the unusual opportunities of:
1. learning "Geezer TR NotIt",
2. attending a MadDog apre' ski SuperBowl party with killer burgers & fries,

Not It!!

Nice trip report, Snoseeker!  Thanks for the lift!

Thanks, MadDog, for another GREAT SuperBowl party! 

Thanks, Ron, for not posting photos of me cratering!

Reply to this TR

february-3-2008-old-crystal-runs
snoseeker
2008-02-04 22:19:24