Home > Trip Reports > February 3, 2008, Jolly Mtn Area

February 3, 2008, Jolly Mtn Area

2/3/08
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Rich_B on 2/4/08 2:32am
We found light calf deep powder on a west aspect near Jolly Mtn yesterday.  Good place to go on Super Bowl Sunday.  The snow park had only a few vehicles when we arrived and only one buried vehicle when we left at 4pm.
Sort of "insular" here in Oregon....  So where is Jolly Mt..  Maybe  I should take a geograpghy course on Washington!!!!!!!

Jolly Mtn is 19 miles due east of Snoqualmie Pass and 4-5 miles northeast of the north end of Cle Elum Lake.

Did you ski the face that's visible from the SlS lot (think it's the horse trailer lot in the summer)?  We've been eyeballing that one lately.  If so, how much vert/approach time involved?

Thanks for the location!  I'll check it out in Becky's guide book...

author=Good2Go link=topic=9053.msg36558#msg36558 date=1202229075]
Did you ski the face that's visible from the SlS lot (think it's the horse trailer lot in the summer)?  We've been eyeballing that one lately.  If so, how much vert/approach time involved?

Hi Good2Go and skierguitarist,
Maybe these TR's will help. 
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=6619.0
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=4580.0

Short answer to your question is about 3 miles and
2500 to 3000 vertical to get to the top of the west facing slope ("front side").  4000' vertical and 6 miles to top of Jolly.
Let me know if you have questions.
John 

Oh yeah,
For current Jolly conditions check this out and give it a minute to load:

http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/SasseWinter/current.html

found on this homepage:

http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/index_files/sassehome.html

6" new in the past 12 hours!!  42" in the last week!!

John

We actually skied to the 4962ft bump less than two miles east of the snow park on the north side of Salmon la Sac Creek. 

Thanks for the info.  Any of you guys ever ski Davis Peak?  It seems readily accessible from the snowpark.  And, it looks like there are some fairly big/steep lines off of the SW aspect that's visible from the road.

I thought I might mention that the terrain accessible via Rd 4315 (that to the east of the Salmon La Sac snow park) as well as the Howson Creek drainage off spur road 128 is a voluntary non-motorized area.

Unfortunately, as in past years, a few snomos are choosing not to respect the closure despite quite clear signage, but the more skiers that use this area the more weight the voluntary closures have.

I have not checked this, but it's possible that the area across Salmon La Sac Creek to the north is not included in the above closures. Is that correct John?

Larry

GoodtoGo, I have not skied Davis Peak.  It looks like a good place to explore with an early start.  I hear that snow park really fills up on weekends.

author=Good2Go link=topic=9053.msg36614#msg36614 date=1202279082]
Thanks for the info.  Any of you guys ever ski Davis Peak?  It seems readily accessible from the snowpark.  And, it looks like there are some fairly big/steep lines off of the SW aspect that's visible from the road.

Good2Go,

Here are a few shots of the SW side of Davis Peak.  Haven't done it either but as you can see by the photos I have been looking for the right line.  SW facing has meant limited opportunity as I want to get it with a cold cloudy day with a bit of new but not too much that it is too hazardous for slides.   Or that it is too much of a skinning slog because from the snowpark it is a BIG day.  One must ski the Fish Lake road initially and cross the Cle Elum River on the Davis Peak trail bridge, and then up and up!  But I know it is not skied often!
I included the third photo April 2008 to show that some of the slope burned in the 2006 Polallie Fire.  Though because it is late season it is hard to see, I think the slope has opened up a bit after the fire (middle face and right of the main gully).

Good luck,
John

Reply to this TR

february-3-2008-jolly-mtn-area
Rich_B
2008-02-04 10:32:52