Home > Trip Reports > Feb 3, 2008, Mt. Catherine

Feb 3, 2008, Mt. Catherine

2/3/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by skibootup on 2/4/08 12:48am
Toured up through the trees on Mt. Catherine out of Hyak and had a blast breaking trail through feet upon feet of Snoqualmie pow. We were pretty happy to find a safe route up not having been there before. One other group finally caught us just shy of the summit with another not far behind.  No worries though since there turned out to be plenty of fresh for everyone.

Carpet bombing by WSDOT throughout the day was a constant reminder to keep the feelers out. We bailed after one EXCELLENT run to get back to a Super Bowl party only to find the pass still closed while they cleared debris. Should have taken that second run.

Crossed below a couple debris fields under some cliff bands and saw a several crowns that looked to be 1-2 feet deep. These were the only real natural signs of instability though and were definitely localized to very steep terrain.

You always have to forget something-----camera-----not that I could have wiped that permagrin off and taken any shots anyways. Maybe my friends will send me some photos.
Nice chatting with you guys yesterday, and thanks for breaking trail! Perfect routefinding and angle, we were surprised that you hadn't been there before.

Yes, run #2 and #3 just got better and better. Here's some pics:

Edited to add: Sorry, didn't mean to hog the photo allotment, let me know if you want to post some pics and I will turn mine into thumbnails.

Reply to this TR

feb-3-2008-mt-catherine
skibootup
2008-02-04 08:48:43