Home > Trip Reports > Feb 3, 2008, Mazama Ridge powder

Feb 3, 2008, Mazama Ridge powder

2/3/08
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by jeff_s on 2/3/08 1:54pm
I whined about the 10 am road opening, but when Robie pointed out that gave us time to visit with Gary it made it worthwhile. Near zero visibility in Paradise parking lot improved greatly as we went down the Reflection Lake road to the horseshoe bend. After a bit of trail-breaking in bottomless powder we found an uptrack from yesterday. Six of us skied 4 runs from the top of Mazama, staying in the trees just south of the usual route up. Thigh-deep light powder all the way. Very stable snow where we were. We ski-cut the top of the steepest slope and didn't see any sliding. We didn't venture onto the steeper long runs further south due to avy and visibility concerns.

Best powder day I've ever had at Rainier; a wonderful time was had by all. Sorry no pix; precluded by snow and fog and my refusal to stop skiing long enough to get the camera out of the pack (which makes me wonder---I really like the great skiing shots that folks post here, but on a fantastic powder day how can you stand to stop skiing long enough to set up and take photos?)
A double post ! yeh it was that good!

Glad you all had fun & stayed safe...10 AM is the best the Parking Service has managed in quite some time...we did the Ditch twice, then Refrigerator & the woods alongside Narada Face...truly rapturous powder that felt like hang-gliding just above the snow!

Nice. We almost went to Paradise yesterday, but decided to head to Crystal instead.  The bc skiing at Crystal was fabulous too  ;D.
author=jeff_s link=topic=9046.msg36466#msg36466 date=1202104485]
but on a fantastic powder day how can you stand to stop skiing long enough to set up and take photos?)
It's really had to stop and take a few pictures, but if you do it early on, you can get the camera put away and just ski  8).

Sounds great! Much better than staying home watching football, which is what my ski partner (aka Husband) wanted to do; I went biking instead.

Regarding the 10 AM opening, I don't think I'd be whining about that! A noon or 1:00 opening (if the gate opens at all!) has been the norm this year. Not sure what the deal is, but that's another post for another day.

We've found ourselves doing a lot of "Plan B's" this year due to the Park Service's difficulties in getting the road open: Eagle Peak, Westside road, chores at home (ugh), etc.

It makes you wonder if anybody on the road crew likes to get out in the backcountry themselves. A 1:00 opening is fine if you want to make a few runs on the tube hill or take a look around before heading to the visitor's center for cocoa; it doesn't work so well if you hope to get any kind of skiing or 'shoeing in (although we did make three of the fastest and best runs we've ever made on New Year's Eve, after a 1:00 opening - it was rushed, but spectacular!).

Quote from: jeff_s on Yesterday at 09:54:45 PM
but on a fantastic powder day how can you stand to stop skiing long enough to set up and take photos?)
as for taking pictures.  i have a pentx w10, it's waterproof and shockproof.  i keep it in my ski pants or jacket pocket.  it takes just 2 seconds to get out, snap.. i'm done.  it takes seconds and it's so worth it.

Two seconds would be too long on a day like that ;) Hell ,I couldn't believe the rest of the crew even wanted to stop for lunch. Ed said I had my evil WTF face  ???  on when they all started getting thier sandwiches out. To get four runs in I was driving the crew real  hard.

Reply to this TR

feb-3-2008-mazama-ridge-powder
jeff_s
2008-02-03 21:54:45