Home > Trip Reports > Feb 3, 2008, - Kendall Stump

Feb 3, 2008, - Kendall Stump

2/3/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by clozner on 2/3/08 9:40am
Skied boot top powder for several laps on Kendall Stump today.  Great skiing.  Few tree bombs.  Fast snow.

Really negative interaction with a police officer while walking under the I-90 overpass towards Alpental Road.  Despite the fact that we knew what we were doing and not heading anywhere near where they were bombing with the helicopter we were told repeatedly that we were stupid, making a grave decision, and making the worst decision of our lives.  We were also told that we were on our own and that nobody would come to save us.  The final comment (between being told that we were stupid over and over) was that it was the worst avy conditions anyone had ever seen ever at the Pass... ever.

I understand and am keenly aware this has been a terrible year for avalanche fatalities in WA, the US, and Canada, but telling people they are stupid for going backcountry skiing in a relatively "safe" area is not the answer.  In fact, it is the opposite.  Education is the answer... not abstinence.

Rant over.  Got to ski awesome boot top powder after sitting in trade show booths for two weeks straight.
The "police officer" was a security staff member for the Pass, just doing what he was told I guess.  A dozen of us had the same experience with him, tho fortunately some of us had a nice chat with a pro patrollman driving to Alpental to work the problems there. 

Quite likely that the security fellow has never seen a snowshoe or backcountry ski, kinda out of his element which is probably ticketing illegally parked cars. 

We were up there too! Great skiing!  In the pit I passed down lower about 3500 ft there is about 5ft of snow on the weak crust layer. It seemed to be consolidating nicely. Crust is rotten watch those steeper open slopes this week. We skied the south side all day and the stability was great even on the steepest stuff you can find up there.

As for the boys in blue...give them a break. They don't have the knowledge of BC travel like we do. They have been dealing with an abundance of people this last week and I imagine that their patience is wearing thin. Not to excuse the poor behavior, but, they really only have your safety in mind. They have watched some pretty major avalanches this week. Most people would think we are insane. They were kinda nasty to Androolus when we came down the first time and the pass was closed. He went up towards the WASP that was blocking the ramp and she blasted him on the PA "closed 2-6 hours." So what the hell we went back up for another run! When you get lemons go skiing some more!

If you get a chance check out the crown up on Denny Mountain. Huuuuge! I have never seen that much snow along I-90. For a slow start this season it has certainly picked up steam. Nice skin tracks in from Central exit. Plenty of really fun lines left. Great dawn patrol destination.

author=cochise link=topic=9040.msg36453#msg36453 date=1202092378]
Most people would think we are insane.

Except the 3 snowshoers who wrecked our skintrack and didn't have beacons. Of course if kendal knob did release that 5 foot slab, beacons would only be good for recovery of body parts still attached to beacon.

Surprisingly easy trailbreaking. Expected much more significant wallowing.

Don't you guys know "you are playing russian roulette with a loaded gun going out there" it is "3 levels above extreme"!
I think regulations require adequate warning to folks when the helicopter is used to drop bombs, but that was a little over the top yesterday. That was such good snow!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Russian roulette without a loaded gun just loses something......

Surprisingly easy trailbreaking. Expected much more significant wallowing.

Snow consolidation had made trailbreaking less than the arduous work we had expected as well.  A rutschblock test failed with one jump at 4600 on south aspect.
Great snow, we made numerous laps in boot and occasional knee deep fluff on the East side of the knob and retired to the car just as the Pass opened. 

Sorry for posting this so late.  Just thought I'd add that in the pit we dug at Kendall on Sunday at ~4000 feet our compression test column failed on isolation on the 5 foot slab as i cut the back with my snow saw.  I assume the mid January crust was the one that I hit that triggered the release.  It was enough to make us turn around, but apparently there were some safe enough turns to be had.  Oh well....  We encountered the beacon-free snowshoers on our descent, and warned them about going much higher.

I was one of the two guys who skied up as you were starting to cut your column.  We bailed into the mature trees and had a good run.  We waited around for the pass to open before eventually taking another run around 2pm.  The snow was quite nice and I was happy to hear that the people who skied the clearcut didn't have any trouble.  The conditions seemed sketchy, but the runs in the trees were totally stable.

Reply to this TR

feb-3-2008-kendall-stump
clozner
2008-02-03 17:40:04