Home > Trip Reports > July 12, 2003, Anvil Rock / Nisqually Chute

July 12, 2003, Anvil Rock / Nisqually Chute

7/12/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 7/13/03 10:44am
Yep, it still goes. Sort of. I came in from the side and it doesn't look like you can avoid taking off the skis to get in the top. I didn't have a Slope a Dope but I had to jump turn, that's my usual meter of exceeding 40 degrees.
The snow on the little headwall of Anvil was junk at the top but rapidly turned into some fine buttery corn. Lines further down the Paradise looked plenty tempting but I had alternate destination in mind. I cut across at last chance to make a continuous right traverse and then endured about 1000 vf of subpar snow to the start of the chutes. Chute itself was excellent, tho a little debris littered. Tracks on the skiers left side (probably from last weeks mass assault on the chutes) were already starting to show points where they'd melted out, mystery turns in the gravel as seen from a distance. I stuck as far to skiers right as possible, where the snow seemed smoother. Great snow for the full 2000+ of the chutes. Easy skiing to Nisqually Crossing trail, short boot up, and then could still burn a little more vertical making embarassing turns in front of the tourists right on top of Edith Creek before all snow gave out at AltaVista/Skyline join. Fun stuff. An early start helped mitigate the teeming hordes and also let me get all the way down before it turned to glop.
If you go up this way don't even think of going down the main body of the Muir snowfield, it is suncup hell. Go Paradise gl, or maybe just go as high as just about 500 ft above the chutes and head down from there. Anvil was fun tho.
Didn't see the turns on Van Trump (I was down before you started down) but did see some daring turns coming from Hazard via the Nisqually Crossing/Wilson Glacier (BTW the chute at the bottom of that is mighty close to melting out).

Reply to this TR

july-12-2003-anvil-rock-nisqually-chute
wolfs
2003-07-13 17:44:26