Home > Trip Reports > February 3, 2008, Snoqualmie Pass is closed!

February 3, 2008, Snoqualmie Pass is closed!

2/3/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 2/3/08 7:27am
Another knee deep day of powder everywhere. The snow was a bit more dense than yesterday, seems to be stabilizing.  Soft and fast.  Now we pay the price, wait for the road to open.....

Update: the road opened after we each bought and ate our $4 half pound of french fries at the lodge, small price to pay, home by dark.  By the way, did the Alpental spaghetti feed fund raiser happen?
Fabulous day guys. Thanks.

We skied from Hyak, Kecheelus lift to upper nordic trails and low angle slopes off trails and down and around the metal pole power lines.  Great skiing on metal edge waxless BC skis. 6 to 10 inches of light fluffy powder on several feet of uniform consolidating snow -- stopped to check out a pit that patrollers were digging. They had not reached the week frost layer yet at 4 feet down. We could see shallow slide crowns curving around Mt Cathering at the tops of open areas, but not major slides yet. Plenty there waiting to happen if conditions are right. Stable on the 15-20 slopes we tried in trees and small open areas.
The Common Corridor and the Mt Catherine loop are not groomed and are closed.
We skied down the Kecheelus lift run and found that I-90 was closed for avy control in the afternoon, so couldn't leave. Had to go back up for more til 4.

I can further confirm that, in that particular pit, I believe that Silas found conditions to be really quite stable. In addition, I engaged in my own, far less sage, but still effective, crash-pit-digging, again without generating any slides.

Good snow with fun folks! Thanks again!

Reply to this TR

february-3-2008-snoqualmie-pass-is-closed
silaswild
2008-02-03 15:27:42