Home > Trip Reports > Feb 3 Road 27 and 28 Buckhorn

Feb 3 Road 27 and 28 Buckhorn

2/15/08
Posted by RonL on 2/3/08 6:56am
Not much in the way of turns to report but I did ski up 27 a few miles toward Mt Townsend. I was able to drive past the tunnel creek tunoff, past the lower Quilicene turn, past the popular lookout just before the gate but not much farther. The ruts got deep and I could hear things dragging. Higher clearance vehicles had gone much further. I skied up 27 until it began to lose altitude again and chose a spur to the right that kept heading uphill. This area seems to be suffering the same fate as the middlefork Snoq lately, the roads got too much snow for my car but not enough for the woods to be fun. Oh well I got some excercise and bombing back down roads is a fun day out sometimes. Since I had to get back to Poulsbo this afternoon it fit the schedule.
I had a little extra time to kill so I tried the back way to Townsend via 28. I got as far as the left turn on 27 where the sign says Townsend trailhead is 11 miles. 28 seemed to have more snow but the ruts weren't as deep, I think because some snowmachines had traveled up the middle of the road in the past.
I am still working out the access over here. Rain below 2k maybe something noteworthy for trip planning around these woods. It is fun exploring though.
OK rather than replying to the questions via email and pm I will try to clear up my confusing report here. I drove both ways, first up penny creek and that is where I skied the road. I then exited penny creek and went a little north of Quilicene and tried the Lords Lake route. I didn't have my altimeter watch with me yesterday but would guess I was stopped both times around 1200, a good reference would be the intersection of roads 27 and 28 on a topo. The forecast shows rain at this elevation starting Friday, perhaps it will melt out the road enough for another try.

Sad road conditions but a useful scouting mission.  Keep us posted.

What do you think about snow machine access up to some of the trailheads?

There seemed to be enough on the roads for sleds on Sunday. Actually if the rain melts it out just a few inches then I could probably drive far enough on road 27 to have some decent options.

Reply to this TR

feb-3-road-27-and-28-buckhorn
RonL
2008-02-03 14:56:02