Home > Trip Reports > Tiger Mountain West Railroad Grade

Tiger Mountain West Railroad Grade

2/15/08
Posted by Malachai Constant on 2/3/08 4:17am
Trip: Tour de Tigre' -

Date: 2/2/2008

Trip Report:
Ever since we moved to Issaquah I wanted to Ski the West Tiger Railroad Grade for its length. Since the Cirico trail went in it became a possibility without backtracking. Most winters there is not enough snow. This year with BC skiing somewhat problematic seem like a good call.

On Wednesday I scouted Poo Poo Point and found a good foot on top. Originally planned on doing this yesterday but commitments got in the way. Had to settle for today. We went around 10 and left a car at Highpoint TH. Then drove to the Chirico TH. The trail was bare for the fist mile or so then snow began in earnest around the bottom of the South Launch Clearcut. On went the skis with skins. It was nasty where the blackberry cans made ski traps but we were soon at the trail crossing. Skins came off and skied the road to Poo Poo where there was a foot or two of snow took a couple turns at the North Launch.

Then headed up the trail to the end of the West Tiger RR Grade. Saw a couple runners in shorts and Tees. The postholes prevented first track but it was not long to the Grade. The traverse was nice but there was a lot of annoying brush and deadfalls. There are a couple stream crossings which require steep descents and ascents with a steep banked wet stream in the middle, fancy footwork required. The going got better as we neared the Section Line Trail crossing. Had lunch with Hot Chocolate with YJ.

From here the RR grade is smooth and pretty level. Someone had postholed through the 2' of snow with amazing persistence. Crossed the new West Tiger 3 Trail and the Cableline Trail and both were tobaggon tracks of compacted snow. There were a couple log bridges here that were tricky. It was a quick downhill hast the K3 and TMT which only had a few tracks. Since the West Tiger RR Grade had become the TMT we continued down.

Skis stayed on until shortly above the junction with the Highpoint trail. Saw a dude who appeared very stoned and was either homeless or psycho as he had on jeans and a cotton shirt carrying a target bag with cokes in it. He asked the time and told him it was 3:45 and there was a couple feet of snow ahead, he said he was going to the Twin Towers . Asked if we wanted some pop I replied, "uh no". Maybe he lives in the "hikers hut". Hope I do not read about him later. By now legs were sore as we headed down the tail to the Highpoint TH with skies on back. Picked up car drove back to the car saw a pile of emergency vehicles heading out to Issy Hobart RD.

Reply to this TR

tiger-mountain-west-railroad-grade
Malachai Constant
2008-02-03 12:17:37