Home > Trip Reports > February 2, 2008; Yodelin

February 2, 2008; Yodelin

2/15/08
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by cascadesfreak on 2/2/08 10:14am
Oh my deep!  Five phenomenal knee-to-waist deep runs in heavy trees and/or lower angle terrain for about 5,200 vertical feet of snorkel conditions pow-dah skiin€™!

Awoke at about 4:45 this morning with a lousy sinus infection; but couldn€™t let it spoil a powder day.  Justin and I departed from the Yodelin parking lot at dawn and soon found a day-old skin track leading up the old access road (thanks prior party!); we eventually split off from that track and Justin broke trail eastward and up to the ridgeline.  Had the place to ourselves for the first 2 runs, but not many other groups out there today (great crossing paths with Monika et. al!) and plenty of powder goods to go around.   

Didn€™t bother much with stability tests as we assumed that most everything not heavily anchored or low angle would likely slide today.  Ski penetration about knee deep while skinning; Found easy clean shears (quick hand shear tests and stepping on small unsupported test rolls) in recent storm layers at multiple elevations (ranging widely from about 6 inches to 20 inches deep); 1 tap test done in hasty pit on a NW aspect near a ridge line at about 5,100-ft: easy clean shear at about 6 inches (8 wrist taps) and moderate-to-hard deep clean shear at about 4 feet deep (CT22; didn€™t take a close look at the crystals, but suspect the shear was on either buried surface hoar or facets atop/near the mid-January crust, and broke as a cohesive block... another scary layer to keep watching out for even after the snowpack settles more). Pole-probed several other locations over 6 feet deep without hitting the crust. (Edit to add: watch out for the tree bombs; we saw some impressive size craters today, and fortunatley the trees didn't bomb us).
Nice, Chris.  Thanks for the report.  It was a good day everywhere.

It was agood day eveywhere. 8)

author=juan link=topic=9029.msg36455#msg36455 date=1202095787]
Nice, Chris.  Thanks for the report.  It was a good day everywhere.

um, i would have to dispute that -- not everywhere! :)

Great shots Cass!! Man - you do need a snorkel there.

author=kam link=topic=9029.msg36467#msg36467 date=1202105065]
um, i would have to dispute that -- not everywhere! :)

:) Well...I guess one of the advantages of VA is that at least you don;t need a snorkel to get around...

That did not suck.
Was a bit shocked at the stability. I would have expected more sluffing, particularly across the street.

i feel like i've seen these pictures before....oh wait, that was last month.  does it ever stop snowing out there?? ;)

Reply to this TR

february-2-2008-yodelin
cascadesfreak
2008-02-02 18:14:00