Home > Trip Reports > Feb 1, 2008, Pt. 4675', Old Swauk Ski Bowl Hwy 97

Feb 1, 2008, Pt. 4675', Old Swauk Ski Bowl Hwy 97

2/1/08
Posted by John Morrow on 2/1/08 10:00am
This trip is in the vicinity of the Old Swauk Ski Bowl on Hwy 97. I believe the lodge was moved and is now the current Mineral Springs resort.  Can anyone confirm that?   Another day of salvaging some nice touring, scenery, and turns amidst the madness of the Cascade snowpack this week.  Pico described this one with a great analogy: this is the skiers equivalent of what car bumper belaying at the local crag is to rock climbing.  Parking at the Old Blewett Highway pullout (grader came by as we started) it is right up the moderate ridge to the northeast with not an ounce of lateral touring.  See the map below with the routes of both my day on Tuesday (http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=8992.0) and today.  Snow was deep by Blewett area standards as can be seen in the first picture of our skin track as Pico climbs back for our second run.  It did warm up with some direct sun. This made a few southern exposures, that offered no trees for shade, a bit heavy.  I do not think it will crust.  There was much more new snow compared to my day on Tuesday, so we were breaking trail to about 12 or 14 inches deep.  Great views through the open forest and at the top of Pt. 4675.  First run was SW down the open pines on a 30 degree slope for about 700 vertical as seen in the second picture.  Then back up our skin track to the top for the second run to the car.  There was a bit of flat ridge sideslipping to get to the final drop but then it was one last group of turns right to the meadow and the van at the Old Blewett parking.  Things are good up on the County Line divide on all aspects right now.  And this year is unusually deep enough to provide coverage in areas that other years bake too continually in the sun.  Runs are a bit short, but with next to no lateral touring, aren't 2 or 3 1000 ft. runs the same as one 2000 or 3000 ft. run and with even less trail breaking?
It has been fun to be out in a beautiful place and eek out some nice skiing as well.  Thanks, Pico for the extra push to get me out again today.  A long drive for Seattle folks, I guess, but fine for Kittitas or Chelan County ski communities.  I think we'll be out again tomorrow!
Hi John,

Have you ever found anything that indicates exactly where the old rope tows were at the Swauk ski bowl? I've been in touch with a fellow who lives in your area (I think) who's been trying to locate them. I wasn't able to give him any precise information. My guess is that they were somewhere in the drainage followed by the old Blewett road, but he was told by an old-timer that they were a bit farther east, closer to the Swauk campground. Any tips?

===
Edited to add: Here is a crummy photocopy of a newspaper clipping held by the Ellensburg Public Library that has a Gene Prater photo of the old ski bowl:

Hi Lowell,

My guess is that they were in the drainage to the east of the Old Blewett Road also.  It is the basin in between the ridges of the 2 different routes on my map.  I see two distinct open blazes there and I wonder if they might be part of the former runs.  I intend to ski them soon if the cold temps remain.  Was it indeed colder back then that they would put runs on a s/sw aspect?

Interestingly enough, someone I've met requested that I look up an older friend of mine named Bill and ask him a few questions!  I will add this question to the list.  In fact, I've been hoping to get out one more time with him (he is slowing down these days) on his famous prototype snowshoes.  I am brainstorming that a little trip through the meadows to the base of the hill for an investigation may just be the perfect opportunity!  Maybe his sister in law and wife Barb would like to come, too!  That would be alot of fun.  More later....

I've also been looking for an excuse to call a friend and former supervisor of mine in the Ellensburg area to chat, I think he could have the answer as well.

John

Reply to this TR

feb-1-2008-pt-4675-old-swauk-ski-bowl-hwy-97
John Morrow
2008-02-01 18:00:57