Home > Trip Reports > Jan 30, 08 Bennett Pass

Jan 30, 08 Bennett Pass

1/15/08
Posted by pabloson on 1/31/08 1:55am
Got up to my usual haunt on Bennett pass yesterday.  It was quite lonely.  Only one car in the snowpark...
I arrived at clear cut #1 and started digging a pit on a 30 degree test slope above a large fir tree.    Elevation 5000 feet.  Temperature 27 degrees, north facing slope.  About 4 feet down I encountered last week's (friday's) "wind" crust.  Dug another foot and there were alternating layers of hoar and crust and low density snow.  I isolated a column of snow on all sides.  I couldn't get it to collapse using arm tests and even dropping my backpack on it.  Finally I got behind the column and pushed with my whole body and it slid off clean at the  highest crust layer.  Then I climbed up above my now giant excavation and jumped up and down on the snow with my skis on.  It would not slide, even though it was just hanging there.  Thus, I figured it would be safe to ski the trees.  Unfortunately, as I went to check the time, I discovered that my phone was missing from my open jacket pocket!  No biggie, just a Blackberry Pearl.  My "check in all safe" call was due in about an hour so I had to leave for the car and drive home to make an in-person check in pouting all the way.  Damn!

I hope this snow report is useful in some way.  I don't remember the correct technical terms.
Useful report w/ a tragic yet responsible ending.  Where is Bennett Pass???

Sorry about the misfortune.

We skied the first Bennett Pass clear cut Sunday and it was deep. Almost to deep for the angle of the clearcuts but it wasn't to bad in the trees. The weather station at Bennett Pass snow park is now reporting 241".

Telemack, Bennett Pass snow park is across from the entrance of Mt Hood Meadows on Mt Hood down here in Oregon. It's good for some low angle turns for about 600' with easy access.

On a sour note, I did see some snow machines there a couple weeks ago.

Reply to this TR

jan-30-08-bennett-pass
pabloson
2008-01-31 09:55:29