Home > Trip Reports > January 30 'Grump In The Woods', VT

January 30 'Grump In The Woods', VT

1/15/08
Posted by cityhick on 1/30/08 2:09pm
Technically this didn't occur in January but once again avalanche conditions have scared me out of el backo campo and this time, made me a little nostalgic for the kind of care free powder farming that only happens on the righter coast.

Footage is from various backcountry shots near my folk's house back in VT, including 'Grump In The Woods', a run pioneered by my brother and his friend over in the 'Dacks for the express purpose of late afternoon Grumpin'.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tpfWNF1Q78
Good to see fun to be had on the "righter" coast....I will be departing this fair state this summer with wife and kids to make a new homestead in New Hampshire - farwell Cascades....you give me hope that I can still get my "fix" without having to relegate myself to the icy hardpack groomers I remember as a kid...I hear Mt Washington has its share of fun tours too...thanks for sharing the video!

I lived in NH for about 8 years and bought my first BC skis there in 1982---haven't used 2 ice tools since!  There are TONS of good tours there, and some good AMC huts.  Try the trails off the Kancamagus Highway for starters.  Ski on as many of the 4000ers as you can and you'll have goals for life.

And hey gang, let's not complain overly about having too much snow.  ::)  It's OK with me not go wherever I want for a few weekends in the winter in exchange for TAY-ing.  Climate-change models also predict that the PNW will keep high amounts of snow/moisture longer than almost anywhere that most of us have time and cash to access.

But I sure will be grumpy if I can't get up Stevens Pass today.  ;)

Telemack, thanks for the beta - I will definitely check it out...Cityhick, thanks for the inspiration....Its a crazy winter this year in the PMW - at least I end my time here in epic style...have fun and be safe out there...to borrow some words from Ed Viesturs:  "Going up is optional, coming down is mandatory."

I moved to Northwood, NH (from Sandy, OR) this past Aug with my wife and kids and would love to hook up with some backcountry skiers/boarders who know the areas or are willing to explore.  please let me know where to find the goods.  thanks
-Eric

Reply to this TR

january-30-grump-in-the-woods-vt
cityhick
2008-01-30 22:09:52