Home > Trip Reports > Jan 28, 2008, Heather Ridge

Jan 28, 2008, Heather Ridge

1/28/08
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by jd on 1/28/08 11:42pm
When school (our work) was canceled my wife and I had decided to play it safe and stay off the roads. I would do the taxes, then we'd go for a long walk on the Centennial Trail. When Jeff called it didn't take much to talk me into hitting Heather Ridge when he reminded me of a similar day last year when it took us 45 min. to get to Hwy 2, then it was clear sailing. It turned out to be about the same driving conditions yesterday.

Punching our poles into the fresh off the skin track (thanks to a group of three preceding us by a few minutes) showed a foot of incredibly light Utah powder over a firmer base. We decided to stick to our regular runs in the trees and were rewarded with fantastic snow and multiple face shots.

On the third run we detoured up and across from the lake for a little adventure down the west side where we'd seen some tracks on the drive up. The wind was whipping as we pulled the skins off in the lee of some trees and we could feel the icy crust under the powder. Hugging the trees we avoided the open upper slopes, but the skiing wasn't very good. We found some better snow on the second half, but the slog back up to the pass was a bit of a bore - all in all we should have stuck to the tried and true. A great day though, made especially sweet avoiding work.

Here are two more composites I just finished:
Nice work guys!!!!  That looks like a tough way to spend a day off from school/work...

Nice job on the pics, Jim!! Glad you were able to persuade your better half...for a day of hookie.:)

Great photos - wowwee! 
I was there the same day in that goodness.
thanks for sharing

Wow Jim!!!
Those composites are really cool! Takes me back to that soul enhancing day!!
I am going to have to get one of those to frame... to remind me of the great winter of 07-08 :)

Reply to this TR

jan-28-2008-heather-ridge
jd
2008-01-29 07:42:00