Home > Trip Reports > Jan 27, 2008, - Bullion Basin

Jan 27, 2008, - Bullion Basin

1/27/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Snow Bell on 1/28/08 9:37am
Apparently, in certain circles when someone says: 1,2,3€¦not it! and one does not respond in turn, he or she is obligated to post a TR.  It seems that I have so much to learn.

Anyway, I was scheduled to meet up with Maddog, RonJ and friends (Bonnie, Daryl, and Dave) at Buzzy€™s in Greenwater at 7:45 Sunday AM.  After a slow drive on icy roads, I arrived to about six inches of fresh snow in the parking lot and a sign on the front door advising of  Buzzy€™s pending retirement from the restaurant business.   Good luck Buzzy!

After breakfast we proceeded to Crystal and began the climb to Bullion Basin just after 9:00.  The temps were in the low 20€™s with light snow falling and cloudy skies.  There seemed to be about six to eight inches of fresh snow from overnight atop a variable crust.  Ron directed our group of six up an alternative rout to the old Jeep trail in order to minimize our exposure to potential slide paths. 
Adventure ensued. 
After climbing through €œDamn fine glade€ and up a narrow chute, we emerged into the western most bowl in the basin.  I set a track in fine, shin deep powder up the west flank of the bowl to the ridge above.  About thirty feet below the ridge, Daryl dug a hasty north facing pit down about five feet.  His observations found no observable crust layer.  Once on the ridge, we kicked down several cornices producing some sloughing but no propagation or slab effect.  No slide activity had been observed in the area and the light in my head registered a yellowish green.  Half of the group elected this as the high point while Bonnie, Dave and I climbed a short ways east along the ridge atop the bowl.  We dropped into the bowl and were greeted by excellent knee deep powder turns to the bottom.  (Perfect for my new fatter skis)  No signs of instability whatsoever, just high quality H2O.  Our trio regrouped and rallied for another trip up.  This time we climbed to the very top of the bowl which was obviously the longest and best line in the immediate area.
Face shots ensued.
We caught up with the others just below the glades which were damn fine and enjoyed good snow the rest of the way to the cars.  The skies began to clear as we completed our tour around 3:30.  Ron was greeted by adoring fans in the parking lot and he kindly shared his mouthwash with the rest of us.  Thanks.
The End. ;D
Great job on the TR, Joe!
So sorry that I missed out. It sounds like it was fantastic!  I'm on fluid overload and extra rest for the time being in order to recuperate enough for the next outing.

Nice report, Joe.
I guess we shouldn't plan on catching you with that one again in the near future, eh?  ;)

Nice timing.  Looks like we will be inbounds for the next week.  But we were enjoying backcountry conditions in the resort on Sunday.  Some rowdy slough but nothing big moved. 

author=Snow Bell link=topic=8971.msg36064#msg36064 date=1201570626]
No signs of instability whatsoever, just high quality H2O..........
Face shots ensued.
  After reviewing the avi report in the morning, and expecting some unstable  snowpack conditions, we were surprised that the "playing field" was in such great shape.  As Joe noted, just high quality H2O!  Our group of three headed down the slope, getting our own face shots, and into the well spaced trees for some fun turns into the forest.  Another great day on the mountain with fun ski partners  ;D.  NOT IT, that should cover me for this next weekend ;).

Good Luck Buzzy, we'll miss you and your fantastic breakfasts.

author=Snow Bell link=topic=8971.msg36064#msg36064 date=1201570626]
Apparently, in certain circles when someone says: 1,2,3…not it! and one does not respond in turn, he or she is obligated to post a TR. 

Joe - there are a couple of alternatives: yell "Do over!! Not it!!" or write a trip report that states everybody but you put their skins on backwards, climbed at a 10 feet per hour pace and cratered on every turn.

It was nice skiing with you.

NOT IT!!

Joe, wondering if we did manage to find the same place a month ago or so? I was not sure if we took the best route up there but could be wrong. From the tr it looks like you all had a great time and skied some great snow. I would love to get to know that area a bit more sometime soon. We (mountaineers) skied around Mt. Snoqualmie and had a good powder day as well, looks like that was the case all around.

Until next time,

Chris

I was at Stevens Fri/Sat, but Sundays was the day for phatness. 

Another stategy is to exact promises from others to post photos in return for the TR.  I use
this method all the time!  One teeny problem:  nobody has come through with pix yet.... ???

Well, Joe, I got caught this week and had to figure this TR stuff out! So now I can add that you left out those spectacular cornice jumps! Thanks for showing us how it's done!

author=snoseeker link=topic=8971.msg36548#msg36548 date=1202192750]
Well, Joe, I got caught this week and had to figure this TR stuff out! So now I can add that you left out those spectacular cornice jumps! Thanks for showing us how it's done!

You got caught writting the TR because you didn't keep someone slower or less experienced by your side.  Why do you suppose that Ron and Jeanette had me along?  Always have a novice or some sort of avalanche test monkey handy.  It will pay off in the end.   ;)
Also, thank you for your kind words.  My propensity to jump off of things is simply born of my my having ridden the resorts for too many years.  Now that you have seen how it's done, I'll expect to see it next time were out.  ;D

author=skierlyles link=topic=8971.msg36123#msg36123 date=1201630332]
Joe, wondering if we did manage to find the same place a month ago or so? I was not sure if we took the best route up there but could be wrong.

Yes Chris, we skied the bowl that you and I slogged up to last month.  Ron's trail was a more direct route but probably slower than the route that we took when cut.  The bowl skied just as well as you might have imagined.

Not it?

Reply to this TR

jan-27-2008-bullion-basin
Snow Bell
2008-01-28 17:37:06