Home > Trip Reports > Jan 28 -- black butte (ca)

Jan 28 -- black butte (ca)

1/15/08
Posted by danhelmstadter on 1/28/08 8:29am
this has been my best pow day so far down here in cali. with access to the siskiyous and shasta temporarily impeded by recent storm events, the ne face of black butte (an easily accessible cinder cone of ~2k and a consistent blend of 30/40dg terrain) seemed like an obvious choice. although a recent reconnaissance yielded treacherous results -- of a nearly saturated snowpack - with a sandwiched weak layer in areas. a front, or cold tail end of the storm which has battered us for nearly two days lowered the freezing level from 5k to ~1k last night.

the boot pack trail breaking was difficult -- with mostly knee deep pow (crusts and wet snow beneath) and numerous areas of waist deep. the ride down was fantastic, almost all pow with a little patch of a surface rain crust.

i took some pictures with a throwaway, but they will cost a fortune to develop (if i can get them developed locally), and they're probably not very good anyway; although black butte is an interesting distinguished feature - worthy of glance.
Very cool.  Way to go get it!

Would love to see the pix if you develop them.  That is a beautiful mountain.

I've always wanted to do that peak as part of my Cascade volcanoe quest, but never found enough snow on my early summer jaunts to Shasta.

it was even better today!

Reply to this TR

jan-28-black-butte-ca
danhelmstadter
2008-01-28 16:29:01