Home > Trip Reports > Peak 5476 near Stevens Pass, 1-27-2008, Powder

Peak 5476 near Stevens Pass, 1-27-2008, Powder

1/15/08
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by TonyM on 1/27/08 11:32am
Scott K and I skied to the top of Peak 5476 near Stevens pass on a cold but nice day.  We expected low visibility and snow, but we were pleasantly surprised with a few sun breaks and good visibility.  When ever possible, we tried to stay in or near the trees.  Powder depth ranged from boot deep to mid-shin deep.  This new snow was cold and light!

Scott dug a pit just off the top of Peak 5476 on an easterly/southern aspect.  Buried under the goods was a 10-15 inch somewhat consolidated wind slab.  It took an elbow tap to force a sheer, but it did slide cleanly.  So we skied the lowest angle possible off the top.  We didn't see any evidence or natural of skier triggered slides.  Slope measurements were in the 25 to 30 degree range off the top.  Down a bit, the snow was in better shape and the angle steepened to maybe 35 to 38 degrees in some places.  Good stuff!!
did you guys ski the south side or the north side?  i saw some tracks on the south southeast mellow part.

We skied the southeast aspect from peak 5476.  Nice moderate slope.  There was some wind slab but things seemed pretty well bonded.

right on!  i was up there skiing the north side first then the south steeper aspect.  it was a little sluffy but safe enough for me.

i was wondering if you were the dumbass group that decided to drop in on top of us as we skinned out the north side.  there was tons of better snow to skiers right of them, i guess they just like to follow tracks.

author=TonyM link=topic=8958.msg36024#msg36024 date=1201491138]
Scott dug a pit just off the top of Peak 5476 on an easterly/southern aspect.  

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  We dug the pit on the same slope aspect we intended to ski/did ski.  There were no tracks in sight in the area we skied down.  There was a group of 4 just behind us, but I don't believe they skied down the north side.

Reply to this TR

peak-5476-near-stevens-pass-1-27-2008-powder
TonyM
2008-01-27 19:32:18