Home > Trip Reports > Jan 20, 2008, Goat Mtn

Jan 20, 2008, Goat Mtn

1/20/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by tytyler on 1/25/08 3:26am
Finally!!!!
I've been looking at this face ever since my first day snowboarding in WA, 5 long years ago and was finally able to get it last weekend. 
Great snow conditions with decent weather.
6-8" of fresh on top of early week's crust.  Firm crust supported our weight with fairly consolidated underneath.  We stuck to the lower angles of the face, but didn't feel anything do much, just a little sluffin..

TR & pics at:

www.getinetdesign.com/elevation_adventures
www.flickr.com/photos/tytyler37/

Sweet idea to head up there Ty. There's a lot of fun terrain up there to explore. The only bummer is that below 4K or so the snow cover is pretty thin, so it would be hard to ski out to the car. Keeps the crowds down though! Here are a few more pics:

Skinning up the S ridge of Goat Mountain

One of the sunbreaks during the day

Ty getting some powder

Did you make it to the summit on your way up?

Nice to see a TR of a less traveled tour.  Always liked the looks of Goat and it seems to have skiing on several different aspects.  I never seem to do the drive, though...
Thanks for the post.
John

author=mosetick link=topic=8937.msg35962#msg35962 date=1201301484]
Did you make it to the summit on your way up?

We stopped at the false summit (~6600ft). The true summit involved traversing a corniced ridge and scrambling 100' up through rime-coated rocks. It would have been an hour of extra effort for no more skiing, so we opted to go enjoy some of the powder!

The north side of Goat makes a great spring trip, especially when it is possible to drive the first several miles of the Twin Lakes road.

This is what the summit looked like on my scouting trip July 2nd, 2007:

Glad you had some fun up there!!

looks rad! This is my favorite area near portland. I am relatively new to BC but have Avy training I and have been out quite a bit this year. Let me know if you'd like a larger party on your next trip here:)

Reply to this TR

jan-20-2008-goat-mtn
tytyler
2008-01-25 11:26:13