Home > Trip Reports > 01/20/08 Chair Peak Circumnavigation

01/20/08 Chair Peak Circumnavigation

1/20/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lisa on 1/23/08 4:49pm
With a report of 9€ new inches overnight at Snoqualmie Pass and only a few inches down south, Victor and I quickly changed are plans and set off for The Pass.

Heading into Source Lake basin with a few tour ideas in mind, we decided on the Wonder Gully beneath Bryant Col., sometimes referred to as Bryant Peak Couloir.
We climbed up toward Pineapple Pass while dodging between the many slack-country lift skiers descending. 

In the basin clouds shrouded the peaks while valley fog lingered.  We took a brief snack break and noticed 3 guys emerging from the clouds breaking trail toward Bryant Col.
As we neared them I heard someone say; €œPoachers again, just like yesterday€, I yelled ahead through the drifting clouds; €œWe won€™t poach, you can have first tracks€.  €œFinally someone with some backcountry etiquette€, one responded.
A short distance further we reached the Col introduced ourselves and met Randy, Dave and Kam.
We discussed routes and with the poor visibility we elected to combine efforts and tour around Chair Peak.   

We dropped down to Melakwa Lakes in knee deep powder then up to Melakwa Pass, down to Chair Peak Lake and down again to Snow Lake.  We enjoyed a plethora of powder at times over two feet deep, dusting our smiles as we dropped knee after knee. 

As we neared the end of Snow Lake dusk came upon us unveiling a full moon peaking through faint clouds.  On our final climb to the saddle and down to Source Lake we were engulfed in the brilliant glow of a Winters full moon.  The surrounding peaks were ablaze, casting shadows on our mortal turns.

I thought of a poem I wrote some many years ago:

While Dawn rises
The horizon yawns
Colors of orange, red and blue
Ignite the sky

As Night falls
The stars above
Are my evening company
They twinkle
As laughter,
Dancing together
The silence a melody

With the Moon in my shadow
My night alone is soon a concert
A symphony of beauty
I compose for company.

This was by far the best tour I have had all season with a great group of guys and fabulous snow conditions!  Cheers to Randy, Dave and Kam!! 

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/telechica2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9883272@N03/

Nice report. Nice Stuart area photos - are there some of the Chair trip out at Flickr too?

Funny comment on the poaching. I've always gone by the "it's only your line when you're looking back up at it" rule, but I am also typically the one being "poached" as I tend to like to get to the top of the things I climb versus cream-skimming only the powder slopes. I have learned to take it in stride.

I'm new to flickr, Chair Peak photos are on page 4 on flickr.

Sunday was so good up there.

Nice tour and report, Lisa.

Looks like your visibility got better later in the day...nice photos Lisa.

Great poetry and images.. wish I was there! - Scott

Reply to this TR

01-20-08-chair-peak-circumnavigation
Lisa
2008-01-24 00:49:44