Home > Trip Reports > Jan 19, 2008; Pic Blanc [near La Grave], France

Jan 19, 2008; Pic Blanc [near La Grave], France

1/15/08
Europe
Posted by cascadesfreak on 1/22/08 7:41am
Pic Blanc (€œWhite Peak") du Galibier:

Part of our group (Michael, his dad, and myself) set out for a fun day tour to this peak a short ways up the valley from the village of La Grave, France.  Our approach to Pic Blanc partially followed a snowed-in road which is used in the summer as part of the route of Tour de France.  No bicycles or Lance Armstrong here on this day, and surprisingly not heavily crowded by skiers considering the popularity of the area and the stellar weather. 

Skinning up about 3,000 vertical feet primarily on wind-swept/solar aspects brought us to the summit of Pic Blanc, with dramatic views in all directions.  Our uphill course was altered slightly at one point owing to locally rotten snow a couple feet deep near a rocky ridge, otherwise no obvious signs of instability.  A group of 5 friendly Spandex-clad Spanish skiers arrived at the summit shortly after us, making for an interesting mix of conversations jumping between French, Spanish, and English.

The snow surface was mostly wind-swept up high, but still made for fun turns on the upper ~1,000 feet.  Lower down the snow quality (or lack of) was a mix of crust and melt/freeze soft snow, but I've certainly skied much worse snow.  A short drive back to La Grave to meet up with the rest of the group, followed by 1 more day of lift-accessed skiing at La Grave/La Meije.
Looks like an amazing time! I am hoping to make it out to the Alps before global warming really takes over and there is no snowpack to speak of. Looks like you had great bluebird days and decent snow- hey, can't ask for more. The PNW has had a few days of sunshine as well and some areas look an awful lot like the alps ( but on a smaller scale). Have fun out there and come back home to our great snowpack.

Chris

wipe/michael/peter:  nice to see your smiles!  nice photos, too! 

Nice coat, Peter! Are those extra long pockets for the Champagne?

cass--you're still there??  ;) nice breakin'-through-the-crust photos!   

Reply to this TR

jan-19-2008-pic-blanc-near-la-grave-france
cascadesfreak
2008-01-22 15:41:06