Home > Forum > Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France

Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France

• cascadesfreak
  • [cascadesfreak]
More
22 Jan 2008 15:30 - 22 Jan 2008 22:33 #213593 by cascadesfreak
Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France was created by cascadesfreak
Several websites I had checked before heading to La Grave highly recommended skiing here with a knowledgable mountain guide.  I can see why, and fortunately we had a mountain guide in our group for this trip (Michael’s brother: Christian Trommsdorff).   It’s not difficult to make a wrong turn and get cliffed-out on the runs at this place.  The vertical drop is an impressive 6,000 feet from the top of the pulse gondola to the base, which is essentially all lift-accessed backcountry skiing (there is no ski patrol or avalanche control work and few rope lines).  I found the terrain both intriguing and intimidating in terms of complexity, steepness, and objective hazards (serac falls from the hanging glaciers of La Meije, etc. ). 

Christian kindly offered to lead Michael and myself down one of La Grave’s classic couloirs (one of the “Trifides” couloirs), which consists of about 1,500 exciting vertical feet of exposed and sustained about 40 degree pitch with a few zig-zags to get around some cliffs.  The snow was soft making for excellent edging on our way down by combination of careful jumps turns and side-slipping.  About half-way down, the snow cover narrowed to less than a ski length wide, prompting some sporty side-stepping for a couple meters (pointing skis downward into a corner in the couloir, ski tails resting on rocks, and my skis flexing more than I had previously thought possible).  Once below the crux the slope was more open for enjoyable turns to an exit ramp leading to the Glacier du Rateau and more gentle terrain below.   

After re-grouping for lunch at the top hut, Michael and Christian headed out for a more adventurous descent of a different couloir, while the rest of us enjoyed a fairly mellow last run of the La Grave trip; then a long drive back to Zurich (arriving at about 2 am), a couple hours of sleep, then off to the airport for the return flights back to Seattle.  Overall an awesome trip and great company!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2008 17:29 #213594 by Alpengo
Replied by Alpengo on topic Re: Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France
Wow! Thanks for the post! Quick question -- how is Europe's snow accumulation so far this year? On par / above / below?

More
22 Jan 2008 17:45 #213595 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France
Wonderful photos and description of your descent.

• cascadesfreak
  • [cascadesfreak]
More
22 Jan 2008 18:32 #213596 by cascadesfreak
Replied by cascadesfreak on topic Re: Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France

-- how is Europe's snow accumulation so far this year?  On par / above / below?

Depends on where in the Alps; in general (and based on input from some locals) snowpack seems on par-to-above average in the higher elevations (above about 6,000-ft) and below average in the lower areas; also seems like the French Alps and southern Switzerland are generally having a better snow season than the eastern Alps (some lift areas in Switzerland opened in October). We lucked out on arrival at La Grave on the 18th with about 10" of fresh snowfall from the previous day and bluebird weather for the entire stay.

More
22 Jan 2008 19:24 #213597 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France
Great picture of Michael in the crux, and no one I'd rather have show me around La Grave than Christian!

• Paul_Russell
  • [Paul_Russell]
More
22 Jan 2008 22:01 #213598 by Paul_Russell
Replied by Paul_Russell on topic Re: Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France
Grande descente mes frères. Vous regardez awesome!

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Jan 2008 22:19 #213599 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France
Tips on snow, tails on rock---good technique tip for narrow spots.
Sounded like an excellent trip. More goods await you at home.

More
23 Jan 2008 17:24 #213600 by allyson
Replied by allyson on topic Re: Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France

Christian kindly offered to lead Michael and myself down one of La Grave’s classic couloirs, which consists of about 1,500 exciting vertical feet of exposed and sustained about 40 degree pitch with a few zig-zags to get around some cliffs... 

cliffs...zags...exposed...i'd say "exciting vertical" for sure!  glad you made it back in one piece, cass!  :)

More
30 Jan 2008 14:17 #213628 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Re: Jan. 20, 2008; La Grave, France
Great ski days in La Grave Chris!! I finally found some time to upload some pictures here . (Thanks again for lending me your camera ;-) )