Home > Trip Reports > January 19-21, 2008, Snoquality Pass...

January 19-21, 2008, Snoquality Pass...

1/19/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Splitboard Graham on 1/21/08 3:41pm
...snoquality, at least as of late...

1/19/08: alpymarr and i got to alpental late on Saturday, and delighted to find it snowing heavily. the bc had been unopened all week, so freshies were a plenty. Headed up 5261 and down to Great Scott, which was WINDY, and intermittently socked in. apparently we took first tracks on great scott, which was wind loaded, but not slabby yet, and provided great turns down to the valley. A couple more runs in the near alpy bc provided some good runs as well. By dark, there was a good 6" on the car, so we decided to take advantage of the lights, and we shredded powder covered groomers for some more hours, which was lift accessed bliss... 4" of light, cold, new, more where folks hadn't skiied recently...

1/20/08: Headed up to Kendall Peaks late with some snowshoeing friends, which slowed things a bit. nice tracks in the upper bowls had me wishing i were with some bc skiiers instead of shoers... took one nice run down the meadow, through the trees and back to the car. hoar frost on shaded slopes over crust.

1/21/08: Tagged along with random folks for some backcountry tracks on lower 5261 which still had plenty of tracks. hit some steep slopes into great scott. everything stable enough. hooked up with 3 other folks and headed down to below knoll 4 and threaded a narrow chute through the cliffs and out...

snow still seems stable on most aspects, except perhaps where in sun for hours. some wind packing in places, mostly the crest of ridges. windloading/crossloading provides highly variable snow depth. no apparent new consolidation over the weekend. should be great skiing as long as it stays cold.
Aha, now i know where you have been. I hate working because of this!! Great Scott etc. was good on Sat. Guess your making up for sick days missed, like the ones in Utah ;)

Reply to this TR

january-19-21-2008-snoquality-pass
Splitboard Graham
2008-01-21 23:41:02