Home > Trip Reports > January 17-19, 2008, Crater Lake

January 17-19, 2008, Crater Lake

1/17/08
OR elsewhere
Posted by cem_terzi on 1/21/08 1:39pm
http://picasaweb.google.com/c777123/CraterLakeSkiing/photo#s5158161699746891666

I was at Crater Lake Ranger Station Thursday late afternoon.I registered at the ranger station. Registration is free and no snow park permit needed.
I stared to ski at 5 o'clock going west direction until 8 pm. It was sunny when I started. at night I did not need a head lamp on the moon light. Snow mostly pack and soft. I camped after after watchman overlook at 5 mile. Many short good hills to turn but I would like to go Mt Scott no time  for that.It is very worth to ski all this hill I will be back for that.
Second day I ski 9 miles. It was sunny. Mostly Snow is wind pack  but soft not icy.

I camped close to Scott bluffs. third day I have 17 mile to go back the car and  a side trip to Mt Scott.
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=8885.0

It was a very long . I started at 8:30 and I was at the car at midnight 12:30.

http://picasaweb.google.com/c777123/CraterLakeSkiing/photo#s5158161699746891666

Mt Scott Climb and ski route  picasaweb did not work

Great trip and fabulous images!  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks ,
Next time I will plan longer trip and try to ski many hills around lake and at mount Scott.

I agree with Boot.
Thanks.

I went to Crater lake for the first time this past summer and was in awe of the natural beauty. I could not help but think about all of the slopes begging to be skied. I am glad you have done so and you have also inspired me to make sure and plan a trip there next winter.

Thanks for sharing and the pics were great!
Chris

I have 2 full days and another day with only 3 hours on this trip. I should have plan this trip 4 full days so I can ski the hill around the crater lake not just only Mt Scott. There are great many  hill around Crater lake.
Anyway skiing at the bowl of Mt Scott bowl was great.

Cem

I just put the route at mt scott

It looks like fun to ski down to the lake?

author=Jason_H. link=topic=8886.msg35907#msg35907 date=1201220823]
It looks like fun to ski down to the lake?

When we were there a few years a ranger said that it was illegal to ski on the lake side of the rim, and that any attempt to do so would be met with a citation/fine/etc.  Still didn't stop us from dreaming about packing an inflatable raft, skiing one of the aesthetic chutes down to the lake, paddling out to Wizard Island and taking a run.

Hmm. Sounds like a fun trip, especially the boat part. Wonder why they citate you? Doesn't make sense.

I can imagine that they're worried about folks inadvertently skiing into the lake. It's not hard to believe that rangers would be worried about less skilled folks following the tracks of someone much, much better, blowing an edge, and winding up in the drink. Can't say I'd agree with that logic, but I can see where it might come from.

Let's go do it!!!  8)

I saw some waterfall ice in your picasa web pictures, does it look climbable? If so, how high would you estimate the ice goes up. Thanks

Reply to this TR

january-17-19-2008-crater-lake
cem_terzi
2008-01-21 21:39:54