Home > Trip Reports > 1 18 08 Kendall Pit WSW 4500ish

1 18 08 Kendall Pit WSW 4500ish

1/15/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by RonL on 1/18/08 8:17am
It has stayed cold since I was up on Sunday so the new snow was still light. Skiing open areas is fun but not enough new in trees to float above the rain crust from, I think Monday or whenever it fell earlier.
Dug a pit on a 30 degree plus slope WSW around 4500. I isolated it on both sides and didn't cut behind it, then tapped with the shovel blade behind to isolate the rest. 3 or 4 light taps from wrist and it slid a foot down at rain crust, the 4 or 5 more light taps and it slid about another foot down.
No, no, no says John. You gotta cut behind the column, put the shovel blade flat on the column, then tap. I isolated a new column and it took 4 or 5 considerably harder taps, last one with full arm before it gave way on the first foot to the rain crust. then about the same to the next crust.
Make of it what you will. Have a good weekend everybody.
Oh and I forgot to add that sun exposed slopes were baking like potatoes up there when we headed down around noon. Pinwheels spontaneously rolling past you, that sort of thing, so factor that in any equations you have.

Thanks for the report Ron.

Reply to this TR

1-18-08-kendall-pit-wsw-4500ish
RonL
2008-01-18 16:17:23