Home > Trip Reports > TR: Spooning is only allowed in bed...(1/6,10and11)

TR: Spooning is only allowed in bed...(1/6,10and11)

1/15/08
Posted by snoslut on 1/15/08 4:20am
In the past 2 weeks, the backcountry in the Stevens Pass and Crystal Mountain vicinity has been epic.  There has been an endless supply of the infamous cascade cement to go around.  I have to say that ignorance is truly bliss.

On Friday, January 4th I ventured out solo into the Crystal Mountain bc to scope out conditions for the weekend.  Temps were in the mid 20€™s and the weather was a variety of snow, wind, sun breaks and more wind.  I didn€™t bother to bring my camera since I was solo.  A decision I continue to regret time after time.  There was no one else out, it was bottomless and there were free refills.  A turn and burn kind of day.  I only encountered shallow surface slabs and minor settling beneath.  1,000ft laps on 30 degree tree lines and small gullies ensued.  I avoided exposed terrain due to an eerie feeling.  Just think of the Jaws theme.

Let€™s just say that after I took my first lap my skin track going up was erased.  By the time I got back to the top my down track was gone.  Constantly breaking trail through boot to thigh deep snow is a bitch even with a group, let alone solo.  After my 3rd lap my legs felt like rubber.  I also had a message from Nomad saying he was coming into town from Montana.  I decided to save some legs and called it a day.  On the way out I came across a guy on snow shoes.  One of his dogs barked, charged me, knocked me down and started to lick my face.

<BREAK>

Sunday, January 6th I hooked up with Nomad, Robyn from Tahoe and Jack from Bellingham for a stroll through the Stevens Pass bc.  It was a day I will not soon forget.  Stevens escaped the high winds that plagued the Crystal area.  We were treated to sun breaks, sluffs and slopes up to 50 degrees.  It was so good that we managed to squeeze 6 laps in and skinned out in the dark.  Not too shabby considering we broke trail in boot to thigh deep snow.  Glad I was with some younger bucks.

20 degrees is not cold, I€™m going to skin in skin.  Nomad put your shirt back on I can see your tic-tacs€¦

We sampled a line from ridgeline to the Pacific Crest Trail, some 1300ft below.  The gully for the last quarter of the run was filled with branches and 10ft holes that you didn€™t see until you were airing over them.  Mental note: No need to go down gullies until our last run.

My pants had baby batter running down them at the bottom€¦(photo by Nomad)

Or here€¦ (photo by Nomad)

I now leave you with an example of unsafe bc travel€¦

1-8-7 Just killed it...

Sunday was a fun group Robyn is a rippin' skier too.

Hopefully we will get some more good terrain in soon.

Jack wrote:
Sunday was a fun group Robyn is a rippin' skier too.

Without a doubt a fun group, except those skiers that kept falling down hill and poached our cliff line that they didn't even hit.  Refer to pic of unsafe bc travel.

<Bottomline>Robyn effin charges!</Bottomline>

Jack wrote:
Hopefully we will get some more good terrain in soon.

A strategy is being formulated.

That looks amazing!!!!!
Nice job kids!

You guys rock!!  Good memories from this winter break will not soon be forgotten...
Drop me a line if you find yourselves in Tahoe for any reason this winter. Now that there's actually snow here, my backyard is full of possibilities for adventurous shredding!

Glad you've been having fun...hope things are well slut.  Catch you later.

Reply to this TR

tr-spooning-is-only-allowed-in-bed-1-6-10and11
snoslut
2008-01-15 12:20:55