Home > Trip Reports > January 12, 2007, Sellrain/Tirol/Austria

January 12, 2007, Sellrain/Tirol/Austria

1/12/07
Europe
Posted by matthaeus on 1/15/08 2:10am
I teamed up with a friend from Axams near Innsbruck to visit the Sellrain again. The forecast was not too good with a "Föhn" (Windsystem) coming in supposed to collapse during the afternoon. Those systems bring a lot of warm air over the main divide. It caused the cancellation of the ski jump competition the weekend before in Innsbruck.
Anyway we headed out and with all the in bounds powder skiing during the week I hoped ot find some powder. We made good progress but the weather was faster. We changed our aim from the Westlicher Seeblaskogel to the Winnebacher Weißkogel (I was there on december 28th). But when it started to snow with decreasing visibility we skipped the summit and skied down. Compared to last time a lot of the snow was blown away or windpressed. It also had so called "Windgangln". Which are carved out snowplates by the wind. So the skiing was not good at all. I said "Its better than sitting at home" and my friend thought "This skitour has everything to become a classic", bad weather, bad snow, no summit or call it a conditioning outing.
Not necessarily the report I would like to hear! Hopping on a plane tomorrow for Munich, after which I'm supposed to meet up with the fiance and the rest of the US telemark ski team in the Czech. They are supposed to race tomorrow in Slovenia but apparently there is literally no snow...to the point where the organizers are trucking some in. They did report good conditions in France though...

So my question is, once the racing is over, where should be go? Switzerland, Austria....back to France?

Ian

Lift skied at St. Anton today (western Austria); fairly icy beneath chopped up freeze-thaw snow on most slopes, but still found some powder on shaded aspects and good snow coverage up high.  Heading for France later this week...apparently the last storm hit southern Switzerland/France pretty good (~70 cm new snow).

I just got news from friends in Innsbruck that they still experience the Föhn. So it does not look too good in Tirol right now, unfortunately.

Reply to this TR

january-12-2007-sellrain-tirol-austria
matthaeus
2008-01-15 10:10:15