Home > Trip Reports > January 13, 2008, Mt Rainier, Muir Snowfield

January 13, 2008, Mt Rainier, Muir Snowfield

1/13/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by turnfinder on 1/14/08 2:07pm
If I died and went to heaven it doesn't get any better than this last Sunday at Paradise. I was just trying to get over a disappointing day at Crystal Mtn on the first {where the whole mountain was nothing but moguls and ski tracks) and the craving for a small piece of untracked deep snow was great. Perhaps the snow gods was trying to tell me something, "Earn your turns".
Anyways, we snowshoed up to the vicinity of Moon Rocks about a mile short of Camp Muir before we "pooped out" partially due to the winds. There was some wind drifts in that area but not so many we didn't find some nice smooth spots to put in some turns. Yahoo!(I suspect a little higher up the wind drifts may be more and perhaps a foot high) But what fun coming down to Pebble Creek. The ridge route to the approach of Pebble Creek has some exposed rocks and perhaps has been blown free a little more than normal so we took off our snowboards and walked a couple of sections. From the top of Panorama Point to the Parking Lot the snow is deed and smooth. Wow! I actually pulled some "G" s going down and up the depressions between the hills. P.S. The gate was opened about nine.

Reply to this TR

january-13-2008-mt-rainier-muir-snowfield
turnfinder
2008-01-14 22:07:41