Home > Trip Reports > January 13, 2008, Goat Island Mtn

January 13, 2008, Goat Island Mtn

1/13/08
Posted by Boot on 1/13/08 3:08pm
Suunto TR:

Gain and Ride- 3630'
Lap-1
Time 7:45

Added:  Great weather, heavy snow on this east facing slope, burley summit climb and surprisingly great ride down.  Saw a couple fractures/slides, but nothing on our slope.
Hello,
How far can you drive?  Have there been any changes?
Thanks,
John

nice job! 

i need to get me a snowmobile....  :)

From the looks of your skin track it appears that you climbed up the drainage on the SE side of the Fryingpan trail?
Those chutes on the SW side of Tamanos look like they are starting to fill in for your return trip. Nice that they finally plowed the Snopark at the bottom of the access road, did you use it?
Good to see you got out safe.
Joe

Nice work Boot!!

Yeah Joe, we came up the first gladed "chute" past the creek with the water-fall, which also looks like a fun run, but a little too crazy yesterday.  The Snow-Park was in great shape.  It took some prodding, but I've gotten good responses from the DOT Supervisor there and Colleen Maguire, the Special Assist at the Snow-Parks office.  As usual the road is pretty hairy and there are downed trees that required some work; always an adventure  :) !

author=Boot link=topic=8798.msg35334#msg35334 date=1200336501]
The Snow-Park was in great shape.  It took some prodding, but I've gotten good responses from the DOT Supervisor there and Colleen Maguire, the Special Assist at the Snow-Parks office.

Colleen emailed me that they were a little slow getting it going down there. We had a meeting with them this summer and they were maybe planning on closing that snopark due to lack of use we were trying to encourage them to have it further in the park (whole other subject) Any reply to Colleen on the appreciation and snow conditions would be cool, maybe we can keep it open a few more years.
Great job on getting after it-both on the slope and the snopark!
That waterfall would be a challenge on the upclimb never the less the drainage itself and the deeper snow above with slight wind and sun effected slog.
Good job!

Joe,
Kudos to you and TAY.  It was your report with Colleen's info that led me to contact her and I will definitely get back to her and Gary Ward; wanted to tag a pic to the message though.  It will be a sad day when they close it, so for now were are happy to get the days we can there.  OBTW, slog is an understatement.  It was one of the most tireing days ever, but incredibly rewarding.
Boot

Thanks for the ride back to the blvd you saved us quite some time

Your Welcome.  Pretty good timing for a BC taxi to come by.

Boot

Reply to this TR

january-13-2008-goat-island-mtn
Boot
2008-01-13 23:08:11