Home > Trip Reports > Jan 13, 2008, The Castle, Tatoosh

Jan 13, 2008, The Castle, Tatoosh

1/13/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by danengel on 1/13/08 1:18pm
TopherVw and I set out for the Castle with fairly low expectations. But the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day, so spirits were high. We found the snow to be very well consolidated with no signs of instability. So we did a lap from the Castle Saddle and the snow was surprisingly good. Soft on the top and dense below, which made for some fast riding. Headed back up and ran into Andy and Don. We all decided to skin up the south side of the Castle from the saddle and "summit" the Castle (technically not summiting, but close enough). Headed down and found some great snow on the ride back to the road. Perma-grins and hoots and hollers abounded. Overall it was a great day with amazing weather and surprisingly good snow.

It was good to bump into you JW and Snowbell. Hope your day was as good as ours!

Pics include the Tatoosh on the skin up, a shot of TopherVW about to faceplant at highspeed and the aftermath. Sorry Chris, but you are still smiling though.
And a
Oooh, so you laid down the tracks we were drooling over!  Very nice.

It was good to see you too Dan.
You sure did pick a good day.  Castle looked like money.  Good choice.  I'll see you over there next time.

That was a stablity test Dan.  I had to check if snow would fracture off my beard when wind loaded.  Turns out it just sluffed right off, no danger there! ;D

Argh! wish I could've been out with you guys - looks like it was amazing. If only I wasn't so sore from riding 6 out of 7 days that I felt like all I could do is catch up on work yesterday.

Wow, 6 out of the last 7 days on the board! That's pretty good. We will go up there again very soon! Maybe an overnighter...

Well actually one or two of those days were on skinny skis, not board. But, I'm probably even more sore from learning how to ride on those little buggers. It was fun, I might be a convert.

Dan, Andy & Chris,

It was great to run into you guys....

Here is one photo to start and more will be on the way when I have time.

Don

Wow! Great shot Don! Send more, send more!!!

It was good to meet you guys too!

Thanks Don!  A little redemption from the 1st series of pics Dan posted of me!  A truly amazing day in the hills!

Chris...checking out the goods!

WOW--love those pictures.  More???

Don, you sure are making Chris look pretty good. What kind of deal have you guys worked out? ;D

Don is tha MAN, Dan!  Don't be hatting because I got hella tight steeze!

That's a great shot of Rainier. You can see a line up The Fuhrer Finger that looks sweet.

Nice work guys, looks like everyone had a good day out except for me (stuck doing homework). Chris- we gotta get back up to Sahale and get some turns one of these days. Maybe this spring? Will be in touch.

Nice faceplant, l think your beard needed some water- he must've been hungry for some pow too!

-the other Chris

Dan,

With PhotoShop I can make anybody look good...accually we all know Chris is good on that splitboard!

I know I am exceding the photo limit but had to be fair and post a shot of Dan.  I hope I do not get put in the Turns-all-Year jail for posting to many photos.  May be you guys can bail me out if I get locked up!!!

I'm a photoshop guy too, so I figured you might have used it to "enhance" Chris' riding abilities. It's all about smoke and mirrors, right?!!
;D

author=danengel link=topic=8796.msg35459#msg35459 date=1200499360]
I'm a photoshop guy too,  ;D

I thought you may have added some snow to my face and gogs in those 1st pics....I'm on to you Engel....

Reply to this TR

jan-13-2008-the-castle-tatoosh
danengel
2008-01-13 21:18:38