Home > Trip Reports > Jan 13, 2008, Schilt; Switzerland

Jan 13, 2008, Schilt; Switzerland

1/13/08
Europe
Posted by cascadesfreak on 1/13/08 4:59am
12 hours on planes, 25 minutes on trains, and an hour in an automobile, then it was time for a jet lag ski tour in the Swiss Alps under a blue bird sky!  Met up with Michael Trommsdorff in Zurich and within 4 hours of arriving in Europe found myself skinning up in about a foot of fresh powder on low angle alpine terrain of "Schilt" (a peak closeby to the south of Zurich), surrounded by imposing and impressive lofty peaks of the Alps.  Michael organized the outing which included 3 other Zurich locals. 
Winds kicked up, but the clouds stayed far away to the west as we ascended about 2,400 feet on a nicely pre-set skin track in about 1.5 hours, followed by basking in the gusty wind at the ~7,440-ft summit of Schilt while taking in the views. 
Unfortunately the wind affects had greatly buffed the snow surface making for some challenging turns initially, but we eventually found nice powder in lower wind-sheltered areas.  Our outing was confined to lower angle terrain as the fresh snow dump of yesterday and winds combined for a high avy hazard rating.  To make the outing an official European "backcountry" experience, an obligatory stop was made at a slope-side cafe/bar at a small ski area on the lower part of the mountain.  Surprisingly some of the best hardly tracked powder on the outing was found within the small ski area immediately adjacent to the pistes  8)
A great way to start the Europe ski trip....next stop: lift skiing in Austria!?!
Snoqualomie ,Switzerland, Austria in one week  makes perfect sense to me .
But do they have cheeseburgers there ?

Plenty of cheese, and lots of "burgers" but watch out for the free shots of schnapps!

Nice work, Wipe! Say hi to Michael, Corinne, Luca and Florian for me.

dang cass, nothing like touch n' go skiing!!  do it up in austria!!  ;D (and say hi to the frenchies for me too).

hey, Wipe!  i thought you were going to stop by Richmond, VA, for some ski mountaineering? what am i, chopped liver?  we had plans to bag the highest point in my neighborhood, remember, the 288 overpass?  some friend you are.  switz --- sssshmitz.  sheesh.

Just say you miss us and we might feel bad enough to ski with you again at the "real Alp" when you get tired of those Alps. ::)

From Kiwiland to Schweiss-world in one season!

author=kam link=topic=8790.msg35393#msg35393 date=1200369666]
some friend you are.  switz --- sssshmitz.  sheesh.
Kam - fly on over and join us in your classic weekend trip style! (You could probably fly in, ski and get back to Virginia in the same day ;)  .)
Greg - Thanks for the Schnapps warning :) . Michael passed on the story of your Schnapps experience from last year...
Robie- I think they have cheesburger's here, but not sure since I can't read the menus  ::)
And of course I miss you all! (there, hopefully I still have ski friends when I return  ??? )

Hi all - great to have Cass here for a few days for some skiing in my new backyard...you are all more than welcome to do the same ;-)! Kam - we'll come check out the Virginia backyard at some point ;-)

Paul posted more pictures here.

Reply to this TR

jan-13-2008-schilt-switzerland
cascadesfreak
2008-01-13 12:59:26