Home > Trip Reports > January 11, 2007, Hurricane Ridge, Maggies

January 11, 2007, Hurricane Ridge, Maggies

1/11/07
WA Olympics
Posted by Stormking on 1/12/08 8:14am
5200 feet East slopes.  Got up the road at about 2 pm. By then it had warmed to above freezing. Observed natural slides on ENE aspect road cut, and across Cox Valley on N-NW treed slopes, generally on top 12 to 18 inches of snow, maybe deeper across the Valley.  Many tree bombs, rollers etc, but most didn't propagate.  Huge cornices on lee (N to NW)ridges.  As much as 12 inches of settlement seen near trees where observable.  Ski cuts on rolls especially wind loaded rolls produced moderately cohesive slabs with effort on the top 12-18 inches of snow.  Pole penetration was infinity, boot penetration was more than my leg, ski penetration was 12-18 inches.  We skied a very conservative line and called it a day.  Would love to see other's reports from the Olympics!  Send them in!
Welcome King.
Thanks for the info.  Too bad about the late gate.  I had considered headed up there tomorrow but it looks like I will head in the other direction.  Please keep posting Oly reports and keep me in mind for future trips. 
Joe

Good details.  See my TR from yesterday.

I'm also interested in the Olys, esp. sking the peaks I can see from my house on Hood Canal. 
I want to get in to ski Townsend but the road access is very variable (see a road access report I'll post, second-hand from a friend who went Tue. 1/15).

Anyone know of accessible snow other than Hurricane Ridge? 

..."Anyone know of accessible snow other than Hurricane Ridge?"...

There's a lot of great terrain in 7 Lakes Basin, but it's 9 miles up the Sol Duc river trail, so it's at least a 3-day trip to make it worthwhile. I haven't skied it, but last summer a ranger told me some skiers go in right after the road opens in April. I'd like to try to hook up with a group to go there this spring.

There are some inviting slopes in Badger Valley, with an easier but still long (8 miles) approach on the Obstruction Point road. There's a lot of avy potential on slopes in there, but maybe someone who's been there knows some safe approach routes.

I'd like to do some skiing in the Olys, too. I live in Auburn but I work sometimes in PA.

I've done a ski trip trip up in deception basin late, late (July 6), many around hurricane/obstruction, and one up deer park road. I want to ski the N side of baldy, that big bowl visible from sequim. Its a painful looking trip up the s. side, but I'll likely do it this spring. If any one is interested who is safe on steep stuff, let me know.

author=LearnToTurn link=topic=8782.msg37889#msg37889 date=1204868514]
If any one is interested who is safe on steep stuff, let me know.
Hi there L2T-

Feel free to keep me in mind for your tour ambitions in the Olympics.  I tend to wait until the spring to turn my attention westward as the access i so much easier but this season I am already day dreaming about some trips that I have in mind.  I am available to ski most days and steeps are my playground.

author=telemack link=topic=8782.msg35661#msg35661 date=1200939770]
Anyone know of accessible snow other than Hurricane Ridge?

Mt. Elinor and Washington are accessable pretty early up above Lake Cushman as well as Mt. Stone and Skokomish via the Putvin trail but I imagine that you know about these Mack.

Reply to this TR

january-11-2007-hurricane-ridge-maggies
Stormking
2008-01-12 16:14:12