Home > Trip Reports > Jan 11, 2008, Heather Ridge

Jan 11, 2008, Heather Ridge

1/11/08
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by jack on 1/11/08 8:48am
Snoslut and I headed out Heather Ridge this morning to se what we could find. With the avy danger through the roof and marginal weather we figured we would just poke around.

well....the avy forecast was correct, pretty gnarly out there. I would be willing to bet that if we had hit anything 35 degrees or steeper we would of been guaranteed burial in a 3 foot deep slab.....kind of put a damper on things, but we still had fun playing in some of the heaviest snow the cascades can produce.

the snow was two feet of mashed potatoes, and i don't mean "snow that is like mashed potatoes", oh no. i mean two feet of actual, full blown, mashed potatoes with the garlic, chives and everything.

the slut sticks some fingers into the wet stuff....

the shovel and saw mark the week layers. the line above the saw is the third week layer. the top few inches at that first line would go with a wrist tap or two. the next slab from the saw up would go with a few smacks from the elbow and after all that abuse, the layer at the shovel was ready to go. on our way out Snoslut did a sort of RB test, we didnt cut the back wall or the sides, but from one jump, a slab fractured at shovel depth.....scary...also, the pit was about seven feet deep (deeper than the bottom of the picture, but still not reaching that x-mas facet layer).

ah yes...the best way to end a short day at the hill, man i just cant stuff enough dicks into my face. sunny in Seattle too.

Thanks for the info on the snow pack but...

author=jack link=topic=8775.msg35212#msg35212 date=1200098898]
man i just cant stuff enough dicks into my face.

:-[

Boy am I glad I didn't make that foobah.
You'll be very lucky if you escape with no more than Snow Bell's courteous comment.  ::)

Thanks for not making similar mistakes with the snowpack info.

(sorry, I just can't help myself - please forgive me)
So - How long have you and the "Slut" been "going out"?  (together in the backcountry, I mean).
(I knew it wouldn't be long before some else commented but was really trying to avoid being the next one)  ???

Jack~ 

Glad to see you make it down to the southend. We ran into Slut last Sunday out there.  Thanks for the pit info, deff. helps with destination decisions.  Wish you had found more stable conditions out there, that is some great terrain.  Glad you guys pulled chocks, that takes alot sometimes.  But i guess if ya had burgers on the brain its a bit easier.

hey Tophervw. Actually i was with Snoslut that Sunday and that was my first time in the area. I believe we were in Moonlight Bowl. It was fun, I will definitely have to make it down there more in the future and we will have to do some touring.

yeah that snow was typical Cascade silliness, with the low angle slope we were trying to head out on, it was so thick we found it easiest to ride out the skin track.

author=jack link=topic=8775.msg35250#msg35250 date=1200197700]
Actually i was with Snoslut that Sunday

Good to make you acquaintance then....next moderate day with vis lets plan to ride up at Baker together.  Our group is typically 3-4 guys, but its always great to ride with other spliters.

I decided to pass hitting Heather Ridge with you guys on Friday and rode lifts at Stevens instead. It was definitely on the heavy side and quite a few people floundering (especially skiers, it was a good day to be a snowboarder). Snow seemed to get better as the day progressed and it also seemed that a lot of people left the mountain early. I ended up having a great day.

sounds good Chris, i have been waiting for a moderate day at baker a long time now it seems like to tick a bunch of lines off my list.

yeah jcocci, i was thinking after we had such a "lack of style" going down that hill that trying to tele ski snow like that would of been nearly impossible....

I'd  be down for a Baker trip as well, been too long since I've been up.

Reply to this TR

jan-11-2008-heather-ridge
jack
2008-01-11 16:48:18