Home > Trip Reports > Jan 6, 2008, Mount Gardner, north ridge

Jan 6, 2008, Mount Gardner, north ridge

1/6/08
Posted by md2020 on 1/7/08 2:03am

You€™ve all seen these slopes as you drive to the Pass just across from the Bandera airstrip. I€™v been eyeing them for at least 6 or 7 years €“ that was the last time I saw ski tracks on them running all the way down to the railroad grade at 2000€™.  Timing is everything to catch those low elevation freeway money shots with good coverage and good snow.

Four of us left the parking lot just across the bridge at exit 42 and began skiing the road toward Tinkham campground. Having only looked at maps and not really doing a lot a research of the best approach, it was all new. That€™s part of the fun. We headed up an old access road which connected to the power line swath. From there we did a little bushwack up the bank and through the trees to gain the railroad grade just below the lower open slope. We climbed the west side of the slope then worked our way through some mellow slopes and tight small trees, then up a steepish small rib to gain an old road at 3000€™. From here we mostly skied the road east to the northeast bowl where we climbed up to the north ridge at 4000€™.

The snow was excellent up high. Several inches of powder to cover the firm crust. Lots of great skiing in that bowl if you can get there. We skied down to the start of the money shot slope at around 3000€™ then opted for the road. Too crusty and too many rocks showing. On hindsight that may have been a mistake. The road that heads east then switchbacks at about 2800€™ is filled with brush. Summer hiking might be ok, but getting through on skis was tough. We skied the last pitch in crusty snow down to the railroad grade, which we followed out to the McClellan Butte trail, then down to the parking lot.

We didn€™t quite get the goods on the freeway slopes that I was hoping, but we learned a few things. There€™s great skiing terrain up above 3000€™ if you can get there. Skiing the McClellan Butte trail to the railroad grade would save some time. Wading across the river at the next exit might save an hour or so each way. Climbing from the railroad grade up the east side of the slope would be a lot easier than our route. I didn€™t like that side because the fall line would carry any slide right into us.

Sorry, no pics. New computer, new internet and something wrong with my telemarktips account.
Thanks for the great TR.  I was staring at the terrain a couple of days ago with the binoculars hoping some adventurous folks would leave some evidence of their journey.  ;) Your TR is exactly what is needed to encourage a followup journey.

Nice TR, Mike.
Thanks.

Reply to this TR

jan-6-2008-mount-gardner-north-ridge
md2020
2008-01-07 10:03:05