Home > Trip Reports > Jan 4-6, 2008, Scottish Lakes-High Camp

Jan 4-6, 2008, Scottish Lakes-High Camp

1/4/08
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by dkoelle on 1/6/08 12:24pm
Our third time up and best trip yet.  Don and Chris and their staff handled the logistics with aplomb as usual.  There was light fluffy powder everywhere.  Saturday I joined up with a few other folks for a trip to and across Lake Julius; ongoing snow and poor visibility (and a late start) kept us from going higher.  Sunday we had a great exit down Big Rock and Last Chance...real clear cuts, not cleared of stumps or debris, but N facing and deeply buried with nice pow.  Just watch out for tiny little humps in the snow; no telling what lies underneath.  Snow quality was good all the way down to US2 at around 2,000 feet or so for the final exit on the road.  According to the regulars, new logging in the area near High Camp has expaned the options for short, steep runs for turns; we don't get up there that much that I really could tell the difference myself. 
Sounds great; we have Feb. 1-3 booked.  There's an established trail from the midway down to US 2, right?  And have you skied the slopes S of the saddle below McCue Ridge?  We did the upper part on corn, but friends have gone all the way to the creek bed.

The Coulter Ski Trail sign is just 100-200 feet up the road from the current Midway transport pit stop.  We were told that no one has skied it this year yet, so it would be slow going, but I am sure Don/Chris could provide a lot of information re: signage, etc. I got the feeling old guidebooks might provide information about this trail; I think it was a traditional way of getting to/from US2 "back in the day".  And no to your McCue Ridge question.  My main lesson from this trip is that some of the best turns are actually below camp when conditions are this good: perhaps best to start your day with some turns, and then have some uphill.

Reply to this TR

jan-4-6-2008-scottish-lakes-high-camp
dkoelle
2008-01-06 20:24:33