Home > Forum > 01.06.08 Alpental

01.06.08 Alpental

• alpenbum
  • [djglass]
More
06 Jan 2008 14:30 #213515 by alpenbum
01.06.08 Alpental was created by alpenbum
Good day up at Alpental. Crowds came a little bit late. 3-4 inches of new. Sun peaked out for a while. Decent to snow all over.

I can't say the same of 'Nash. It was closed around 11:30. There are just about zero lines in upper or lower entrance. Everything was scraped off with a ledge and exposed rock and brush below. Ski Patrol was in place to catch the casualties. Never seen it that bad this time of year.

I was one of the last in. Jumped and spun out but recovered quickly on run #7. Probably the best news was that I didn't blow out my edge on the rocks.

It's a shame too because Nash and everything below including lower gate was fantastic. Ski Patrol was working furiously to build a ramp. Good old fresh snow will fill it in but, gotta keep those snowboards from scraping the snow off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2008 16:48 #213516 by Alpengo
Replied by Alpengo on topic Re: 01.06.08 Alpental
+1

Crowds didn't seem to arrive until 11ish.  Beautiful midday sun!

• altasnob
  • [altasnob]
More
08 Jan 2008 20:14 #213521 by altasnob
Replied by altasnob on topic Re: 01.06.08 Alpental
Pretty frustrated that patrol closed Nash that day. If the entrance is bad, just have a gate with a patroler warning everyone that there is a mandatory 10 ft air to get in. That will scare most folks away. Jackson Hole opens Corbett's when there is a mandatory air to ski it. Not sure why Alpental can't do the same. The resort is pretty limited when you can't access the BC. Just my two cents.

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
09 Jan 2008 09:24 #213522 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: 01.06.08 Alpental

Not sure why Alpental can't do the same.

Because Alpental is not as cool as Jackson Hole?

• jasonsalvo
  • [jasonsalvo]
More
09 Jan 2008 16:37 #213523 by jasonsalvo
Replied by jasonsalvo on topic Re: 01.06.08 Alpental

Because Alpental is not as cool as Jackson Hole?

Considering the fact that Alpental is at 3200' and the temps often hover right around 32 degrees at the base, I'd say Alpental is rarely as cool as JH, which is higher and inland.

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
10 Jan 2008 00:17 #213526 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: 01.06.08 Alpental

Considering the fact that Alpental is at 3200' and the temps often hover right around 32 degrees at the base, I'd say Alpental is rarely as cool as JH, which is higher and inland.

Is global warming factored into your equation?

• Aaron_Riggs
  • [Aaron_Riggs]
More
10 Jan 2008 06:39 #213527 by Aaron_Riggs
Replied by Aaron_Riggs on topic Re: 01.06.08 Alpental
I'm surprised to hear they actually closed it. Nash is always tricky, though. Even in 98-99 when there was a 300 inch base, Nash had rocks on the entrance. Price of admission, I say. Patrol has a good entrance set up now--thank you. Alpy was in classic form yesterday (Wed). Shot Six was bottomless and Elevator opened by about 10. Pete F. got the first line through through the true Elevator Shaft. I was so jealous. Was anyone there who might have seen the boulder (about the size of a 13"TV) that let loose from the cliffs and rolled right down the middle of Nash, threading it's way through screaming skiers yelling "rock!"? It tumbled right by me as I was skiing down.

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
10 Jan 2008 13:16 #213528 by Keith_Henson
Replied by Keith_Henson on topic Re: 01.06.08 Alpental

Was anyone there who might have seen the boulder (about the size of a 13"TV) that let loose from the cliffs and rolled right down the middle of Nash, threading it's way through screaming skiers yelling "rock!"? It tumbled right by me as I was skiing down.

TURN BACK! before it's too late!