Home > Trip Reports > January 5, 2008, Kendall Peak and Video Blog

January 5, 2008, Kendall Peak and Video Blog

1/5/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by savegondor on 1/6/08 12:19am
Toured up the clear-cut ridge that separates Coal Creek basin from Commonwealth basin and topped out near a false summit of Kendall Peak at about 5300'.  Visibility was good. And snow quality was good on open slopes but relatively poor in the trees.  However, the mild sloped old growth stands around Kendall Lakes would make excellent storm and low snow skiing.

Snow pit analysis yielded stable results on the West Face of Kendall Peak.  Slopes were frequently cross-loaded by winds coming from the East and the West depending on storms.  The snow pit was dug at about 5000'.  It was about 8 feet to the ground.  The bottom one-two feet was still a bit wet from the December rains but the weakest point in the snowpack was a more recent raincrust at about 3 feet down from the top.  Not sure when that happened but while Rutschblock tests saw that layer fracture a bit it still did not release even after repeated hard jumps on the block.  Shovel test did not get that layer to fail with any amount of force.  Compression test and Routschblock yielded mild and predictable sloughing of the top 5 inches of new snow. 

The Western aspect seems to have consolidated better due to greater sun exposure and possibly warmer temperatures combined with more frequent rain showers?  I don't know. Just a guess. 

Great skiing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4C_8JmT5eI

savegondor
Thanks for the report. Great info and video!

-M

We were up in the area today.  Still nice snow on the N slopes and from the stump down to the Kendall Basin even had some good powder in it.

Good times.

Margie T., Bill S. and I made it up there later in the day, after making a run through the trees on the west side.  We dug a pit to the crust, 6' or so.  Just did a shovel isolation test, with very similar results.  No matter how hard I pounded on the shovel, it wouldn't budge from the deep crust, but did when I pried it with the shovel.  The whole column remained intact after release.  A gloved finger penetrated about an inch max the whole length.  Being reassured of stability, proceeded to enjoy a very nice run.  

If anyone has done any stability exploration of the East face of Kendall Peak/Ridge on the Gold Creek side I'd appreciate the beta.  My guess is that it's a completely different story on that side. 

Regarding your comment on consolidation on the west aspects - perhaps this is because of mostly westerly winds compacting snow on that side? I realize there have also been east winds, but it seems that a lot of the snow since early December has fallen during west winds. Just a thought...

author=savegondor link=topic=8717.msg34967#msg34967 date=1199679322]
If anyone has done any stability exploration of the East face of Kendall Peak/Ridge on the Gold Creek side I'd appreciate the beta.  My guess is that it's a completely different story on that side. 

The Silver creek drainage off the "backside" of Kendall ridge is quite a bit steeper with mostly north facing couloirs that then open out to the east.   

Descents have been made here -- but these routes are more akin to skiing "The Slot couloir" on Snoqualmie than the "front side" of Kendall.

author=Randy link=topic=8717.msg34985#msg34985 date=1199720543]
The Silver creek drainage off the "backside" of Kendall ridge is quite a bit steeper with mostly north facing couloirs that then open out to the east.   

Descents have been made here -- but these routes are more akin to skiing "The Slot couloir" on Snoqualmie than the "front side" of Kendall.

Randy,

Do you know anyone who has skied it?  I'm guessing the stability on that side is poor and that the slope is significantly wind-loaded.  Maybe I'll take a recon from the silver creek side and dig a pit on a similiar slope and see what I find. 

Again, anyone who has beta on the snow stability on the silver creek side, please share it here!

-Jayme

It must have been you boys that we met up there at the top.  Thanks for letting us have first turns!

Good to know the conditions were still good up there.  We had some fun up there on new years eve and the Saturday before.

As far as the north side, I remember this trip report from last year among others:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=5746.0

author=mtn_mama link=topic=8717.msg35012#msg35012 date=1199762101]
It must have been you boys that we met up there at the top.  Thanks for letting us have first turns!

Yeah,

Thanks for checking the bomber stability for us!!! I was a bit sketchy about that stuff near the saddle! 

And to everyone else: thanks for the beta.

-Jayme

Reply to this TR

january-5-2008-kendall-peak-and-video-blog
savegondor
2008-01-06 08:19:02