Home > Forum > 12/27/07-1/1/08 Meany Lodge Powder since 1928

12/27/07-1/1/08 Meany Lodge Powder since 1928

• artfreeman
  • [artfreeman]
More
04 Jan 2008 06:13 #213509 by artfreeman
No one needs to be told of the excellent conditions recently, but I thought those who frequent this site might be interested in the “home movies” I took at Meany Lodge. Meany, run by The Mountaineers and built in 1928, is located near Stampede Pass and accessed via a snowy road 3 miles in from the Crystal Springs snow park at I-90 exit 62. I’ve had some of my best powder days ever there, and the days between Christmas and New Years this year may have been the best ever. Check out meanylodge.org for details.

There are 3 rope tows, and the big one runs up about 500 vert feet. The terrain is relatively steep on the upper hills with several pitches pushing 40 degrees. Why tell you about this secret stash? The lodge only holds maybe 90 people so the hills rarely get skied out, and we start with snow intact Saturday since no one skis there mid-week.

You will be able to tell that I had a lot of fun making these 2 five minute videos, which are on Youtube .

Part 1:

Part 2:

“This is surely the most historic ski area in Washington when you consider that it has been in continuous operation since 1928. Everybody should make a pilgrimage there” --Lowell Skoog, from 3/9/05 posting on this site.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2008 07:40 #213510 by ron j
Thanks, Art, for reminding us about this true Pacific Northwest treasure and tribute to the Mountaineer's long standing love for winter mountain recreation.
Great job with the videos and the "duct tape helmet cam" as well.

More
04 Jan 2008 14:36 #213512 by Oface
I've never been, but that looks like fun! Maybe this winter. Are the slopes avy controlled?

• julegust
  • [julegust]
More
04 Jan 2008 17:03 #213513 by julegust
It's lift-accessed backcountry, so no, there's no avy control. I think the official policy is to outrun any slides.

More
04 Jan 2008 17:39 - 05 Jan 2008 06:13 #213514 by Zap
Art, Nice job on the videos. 

OK you convinced me. I'll take the snowcat in on Sunday morning and meet you at the rope tows.  Remember, you promised to teach me how to ride the rope tow, provide some heavy leather mitts, an old jacket and save some untracked lines for me.   Don't worry, I'll figure out the descent part.  ;)

• steadyski
  • [steadyski]
More
06 Jan 2008 17:04 #213517 by steadyski
What a blast from the past. My family started going to the hut almost 15 years ago. I gave my children their first ski lesson on the turtle tow. (not in the video) The snow cat brought back some great memories of 120 people towing out at the end of the weekend and just as the narrator commented, returning to the 20th or 21st century in progress. It is a jewel, a reminder of PNW history and style. Shall it last forever.

Thanks
greg

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Jan 2008 20:07 #213520 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: 12/27/07-1/1/08 Meany Lodge Powder since 1928
Big smiles. Thanks for posting, Art.

Is there anywhere else in North America where skiers still ride tows using rope grippers? Classic!

The soul of skiing is alive and well at Meany Lodge.