Home > Trip Reports > Jan 01, Mt. Catherine, E slopes

Jan 01, Mt. Catherine, E slopes

1/1/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by balexand on 1/2/08 10:01am
Because of our late start, the avy forecast, and the fact that Bridgid was on snowshoes we decided to check out the forest service road that leads from Hyak to Nordic Pass. We started at noon in the Lake Keechelus Sno-Park.

Neither of us had been to this area and we didn't know what it was like. We found an extremely boring groomed road mobbed with XC skiers. At about 2,800 ft, we bailed off of the road and started a rising traverse to the N towards the E slopes of Mt. Catherine. We immediately starting having more fun as we thrashed our way through the dense forest in deep powder.

The trees eventually thinned and we descended to the E. The powder was deep and light and some very satisfying turns were had before we reached the road.

Welcome Balexand.
Thanks for the report.

Nice, I am jonesin' to get on Catherine! (does that sound bad?)

Just remember No means No, and if there's any doubt take a partner along... you should be ok ;-)

I'm pretty sure (w/o checking against a map just now) that the approach via FR 9070 (which sounds like maybe how you traveled?) is a whole lot longer and flatter than going up the Hyak ski area (or the xc access trail I hear runs up that way - honestly the few times I've done Catherine I've bought a groomed trail pass and used that to ride the lift (and rode the lift a second time at the end of the day since you get two rides for a day pass) and then down briefly and then you're right there at the base of some decent touring slopes.

A friend once convinced me to do Silver Peak via Hyak, and we returned around what he called the "Mt Catherine Loop" - in other words exiting via FR 9070 which kind a sucked due to how much horizontal slog the exit entailed. Might be fun on skinny skis, but I've never wanted a repeat on fat gear.

We were on catherine as well...just a different aspect. Never saw a soul the whole day. We went in and out from the silver fir lifts though. The snow was good indeed. We found a tree bombed hell on radio mt earlier in the day and velvet love over on catherine. What a floozy she is.

I never liked the SAT's, but from what it's sounding like is if Catherine is a "floozy", buying a lift to get on her is:

A) like a light bulb is to a cartoon person
B) like cheating is to math class
C) like a caller is to a call girl
D) none of the above

nice pic buy the way.  I'm think I'm being tempted to fall into this lustful attraction...

I wouldn't throw down a Ulysses's either...thats what the big **s is for. But I'd go with C...that way I would have more time to spend with this lady. Lets just say she has some hidden secrets worth lapping 8)

Righteous  8)

Reply to this TR

jan-01-mt-catherine-e-slopes
balexand
2008-01-02 18:01:28