Home > Trip Reports > Jan 1, 2008, Glacier Creek Rd. Mt Baker

Jan 1, 2008, Glacier Creek Rd. Mt Baker

1/1/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by samoon on 1/2/08 9:18am
This post is purely informational, from an approach standpoint.  Yesterday I broke out the snomo and due to blowdown and other tree debris the road was closed about 2 miles out of Glacier.  The snowmo could negotiate the debris, but not the Subaru.  Basically we had to take the sled about 1 mile out of glacier. 

Slopes above tree line were somewhat scoured, but nice turns were to be had all the way to about 6800'.  Upon our return, the Snow Park Crew had blazed their way through the trees and started grooming the road. 

As it stands right now, the snow park is sitting at about 1500' or about 5 miles shy of the Heliotrope Ridge Trailhead.  However, their were no signs posted preventing wheeled vehicles from attempting the road ascent.

Snow conditions on the road were very soft.......one jeep failed in the effort to climb the road......sleds advised.  I have a few pics.....but I'd hate to draw more attention to one of my favorite places to ski.
There doesnt need to be signs you would be nuts to try to drive a wheeled vehicle to the trailhead.

Reply to this TR

jan-1-2008-glacier-creek-rd-mt-baker
samoon
2008-01-02 17:18:36