Home > Trip Reports > December 29, 2007, Stevens Pass, Moonlight Bowl

December 29, 2007, Stevens Pass, Moonlight Bowl

12/29/07
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by argus on 12/31/07 1:59am
This is my first post here, so I figured I might as well make it a TR.

Went up to Stevens Pass on Saturday and hit up Moonlight Bowl.  As others have pointed out in other threads, it was deep.  Only one other party was up there, which was useful for splitting duties of busting a skin track back up.   We dug a couple of pits on east facing elevations and found a stable snowpack.  A couple of the rollovers had 6" soft slabs on them, but that was about it.  Here are a couple pics. 
Hey argus.  Nice meeting you up there.  Also nice sharing trail busting duties.  Definitely a day to remember.  I should also note that we dug a pit about 7 feet deep on a SE aspect and couldn't find any crust layer, everything seemed quite stable except for the noted soft wind slab.  A few pics attached.

Nice pics bside.  That was the most tired I've ever seen Joules.  She's even been out in deeper days.  Of course, the next day she was rested and hyper again.  If you ever want to get out skiing, let me know.

Welcome to you both.
Traveling in that bottomless snow had to be tough duty for Joules, eh?

Thanks for the welcome Ron.  The first few runs weren't to bad for her, but after that she was shot.  It's pretty funny to watch her make the same turns you just did.  It's the only way I can tire her out.  Well, that and if I make her carry a few beers when we go backpacking.  ;)

That's the best dog picture ive seen. Give that powder hound some red meat!

Great pictures.  Thanks for the snow report.  Wow, that looked fun.

Reply to this TR

december-29-2007-stevens-pass-moonlight-bowl
argus
2007-12-31 09:59:14