Home > Trip Reports > July 6, 2003, The Great White Watcher (C.D.)

July 6, 2003, The Great White Watcher (C.D.)

7/6/03
Posted by ema on 7/7/03 7:49am
Wow, Jim Oker's report rings very true!! Some of the best, smoothest July corn ever. http://www.biglines.com/photos_large.php?picid=12186 Indeed, like silk....This is occuring from 7000' to 10700'. Below this, runnels and cups are tough going, but not combat, yet. We skied down to around 5500', within 30 yards or so, of the glacier overlook trail, thus, avoiding the knee-jambing of the hogback moraine trail....The Roman Wall was in prime shape, lucky, since I was concerned on the ascent as it was very hard. Perfect timing on this day was approx. 12:30, all the way down to 7000', where all of the sudden it got bumpy....Calm on the Summit, beautiful views, and ran into fellow TAY poster AlpentalCorey!! Hey man! Can't post pics here, but will try on CascadeClimbers under Freshiezone if you would like to see....
Yes that was some silky silky snow out there.  I was going to write a TR myself but got lazy.  You pretty much summed it up Toby, so now I don't have to, but I am curious if that route has a reputation for good late season snow conditions.  I have been lucky to have had lots of good corn this year, so it's hard to say what was the best, but that was definately the best July snow I have skied yet.

BTW - thanks also to Jim for the positive July 3rd report which helped me decide on the route.  I'm glad I did.

Hey Corey - As for late season...Ben and I skied it the last day of summer (9/21?) last year, leaving the summit around 3:45, and it was epic then...I think it's probably good into October (as Sky skied the Roman Wall on a HOT day (mid Oct.) last year via the Squak)...

Its quite evident that the lower elevations truly did suffer from this past mild winter.  I can already tell that Coleman-Deming will likely have many more difficult crevasse crossings come Sept/Oct as compared to last year.  And, I compared a photo I took June 2002 to my trip up there 6/27 looking down the Park...definitely many more cracks already open.

Reply to this TR

july-6-2003-the-great-white-watcher-c-d
ema
2003-07-07 14:49:17