telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/17/17, 11:45 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2003 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July-August 2003 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  July 6, 2003, The Great White Watcher (C.D.)
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 6, 2003, The Great White Watcher (C.D.)  (Read 2498 times)
toby_tortorelli

Email
July 6, 2003, The Great White Watcher (C.D.)
« on: 07/07/03, 03:49 PM »

Wow, Jim Oker's report rings very true!! Some of the best, smoothest July corn ever. http://www.biglines.com/photos_large.php?picid=12186 Indeed, like silk....This is occuring from 7000' to 10700'. Below this, runnels and cups are tough going, but not combat, yet. We skied down to around 5500', within 30 yards or so, of the glacier overlook trail, thus, avoiding the knee-jambing of the hogback moraine trail....The Roman Wall was in prime shape, lucky, since I was concerned on the ascent as it was very hard. Perfect timing on this day was approx. 12:30, all the way down to 7000', where all of the sudden it got bumpy....Calm on the Summit, beautiful views, and ran into fellow TAY poster AlpentalCorey!! Hey man! Can't post pics here, but will try on CascadeClimbers under Freshiezone if you would like to see....
« Last Edit: 05/29/05, 05:17 AM by toby_tortorelli » Logged
alpentalcorey

Re: July 6, 2003, The Great White Watcher (C.D.)
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/03, 10:16 PM »

Yes that was some silky silky snow out there.  I was going to write a TR myself but got lazy.  You pretty much summed it up Toby, so now I don't have to, but I am curious if that route has a reputation for good late season snow conditions.  I have been lucky to have had lots of good corn this year, so it's hard to say what was the best, but that was definately the best July snow I have skied yet.

BTW - thanks also to Jim for the positive July 3rd report which helped me decide on the route.  I'm glad I did.
David_Coleman

Re: July 6, 2003, The Great White Watcher (C.D.)
« Reply #2 on: 07/08/03, 04:21 AM »

Hey Corey - As for late season...Ben and I skied it the last day of summer (9/21?) last year, leaving the summit around 3:45, and it was epic then...I think it's probably good into October (as Sky skied the Roman Wall on a HOT day (mid Oct.) last year via the Squak)...

Its quite evident that the lower elevations truly did suffer from this past mild winter.  I can already tell that Coleman-Deming will likely have many more difficult crevasse crossings come Sept/Oct as compared to last year.  And, I compared a photo I took June 2002 to my trip up there 6/27 looking down the Park...definitely many more cracks already open.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.