Home > Trip Reports > July 6, 2003, Anvil Rock MRNP

July 6, 2003, Anvil Rock MRNP

7/6/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by paul_smith on 7/7/03 3:28am
Leaving Seattle at 7, a relaxed start, Todd and I thought of either Nisqually chutes or the Stash as our destination. A quick drive found us at the Paradise parking lot packed with people. Opting for more space and less folks we headed down the Paradise road to the trail head. Less then 20 minutes of packing skis and we could start skinning. We crossed the foot bridge over Paradise creek and made our way up the ridge to the base of Anvil rock. As we climbed we could see the teeming masses on the Muir snowfield yearing to be sunburnt and free. Lunch was quickly inhaled with views to Mt Hood. Turns down the Paradise glacier towards the top of the stash brought us through a nice variety of snow, Del Monte creamed corn ;D which most have been somewhat old as we found it chunky in spots, rough bits with the runnels growing bigger and bouncing you around somewhat, and sections of smooth silky corn that put a nice big grin on your face.The crevasses are growing bigger but posed no difficulity and were eaisly avoided. We checked out the stash which seemed ripe for the picking showing tracks of one skier. The run back to the truck was quick, and the cold Mirror Pond Ales were the end to an enjoyable tour. We did see several boarders in the Nisqually chutes who appeared to be gingerly negotiating the entrance. 8)
Nice Paul, sounds like you and Todd had a great time on the PL.  Think we're gonna try to stash some of that nice corn in the next couple of weeks.  I think that group you saw in the chutes was Ron and the gang since they were also up there on sunday too.  8)  I was away doing a little mt bike riding.  ;D

Reply to this TR

july-6-2003-anvil-rock-mrnp
paul_smith
2003-07-07 10:28:53