Home > Trip Reports > December 21-22, 2007, Nordic Pass, Snoqualmie Pass

December 21-22, 2007, Nordic Pass, Snoqualmie Pass

12/21/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charles on 12/23/07 9:24am
My first time skiing in over five months (don't ask)! I wasn't looking for excitment, just some time in the snowy mountains. I skinned up the eastern part of Summit Central to Grand Junction, then XC trails to Rockdale viewpoint. Some of the ski area and a tiny stretch of XC trail had been groomed, but mostly it was trail breaking in about a foot of newer snow over a previously groomed surface.

Looking toward Alta Mountain/Chikamin Peak:

I traversed into the old growth forest a way and started looking for the perfect camp spot. This was somewhat critical due to the large tree bombs overhead. I found a nice kitchen/bench spot within some dense small trees, and a tent spot in a small glade, hopefully far enough out from the big trees to avoid getting bombed. The snow in glades was similar to that described in cascadesfreak's report from Hyak: a low density layer, a denser layer, then low density again. On skis I only sunk in 6-8 inches, but on foot up to my knees.

Tent spot:

At my camp site it was virtually windless and very quiet - no highway or ski area noise - with some light snow. Very peaceful. I set a gently uphill track to Nordic Pass using skins, then glided back to camp. The snow was cold and fast. I discovered that I could climb my gentle tracks just using the fishscales, skins not needed, so I did some more gliding on the tracks I had set. I hadn't brought cables so didn't really try to do turns. The clouds broke up a bit near sunset and there was nice moonlight shining into the forest after it got dark.

The only real excitement of the trip began around 2am, when I was awakened by a nearby explosion in the snow. As I lay there I could hear gusts of wind starting in the distance and coming closer, with corresponding tree bomb explosions also coming closer. This kept me awake for a little while, but I decided that I had placed the tent well, went back to sleep, and awoke to find the tent in one piece. It had begun to snow, and by the time I left camp there were around three inches of new snow, mostly cold needles but with rimed crystals starting to mix in.

The only turns I got on the trip were back in the ski area, but they were nice in the three inches over groomed. Massive (6 mile) backup on eastbound I-90 due to chain enforcement at exit 47.

Someone had decorated the trees!
Nice tree photo enhancement.  ;)

Reply to this TR

december-21-22-2007-nordic-pass-snoqualmie-pass
Charles
2007-12-23 17:24:07