Home > Trip Reports > July 3, 2003, Baker CD route

July 3, 2003, Baker CD route

7/3/03
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Jim Oker on 7/4/03 12:08am
Surf's up!

Russ and I slept at TH and started up at 6:15AM. Hit snow at camps around 5500 and put on skis after we got up first steeper step. The snow got more wintry (dry windpack) as we approached the col. Fortunately, the Roman Wall allowed pretty easy step-kicking, as we had made the questionable move of leaving the crampons in the car. We could see Glacier, Rainier, Puget Sound and the Strait of San Juan, a great view of the islands, and a sea of clouds that wrapped right up to Heliotrope Ridge and the Black Buttes. We started down at 3, the dry powder of the Roman Wall had melted a bit, leaving an amazingly consistent, buttery surface. Yum. I wonder it will be a little icy today, or if any freeze crust will facet away at night? The run from the summit to a spot on the Deming just a little below the Col (easy crevasse crossings at bottom of this run) had about the best conditions of any spring/summer ski either Russ' or I have ever done! We then left the heavenly realm and passed through the clouds briefly as we climbed back to the Col and dropped down the other side. The snow was quite smooth until just above the high ridge camps, and then a bit runneled but still wonderfully skiable corn all the way down to 5500 where we packed the skis for the weary trudge back to the van. Took off the packs for the last time at 5:50PM.

After skiing Adams last weekend, I really truly appreciated the fine road to the Heliotrope Ridge trailhead.
Just wanted to add that this was my first time up Baker, and I was truly blown away by the aesthetics of this route, from cool forest and waterfalls to meadows to grand views of large and broken glaciers to cruising along the cliffs and seracs to the moderately steep climb up the cone. Wow.

Jim- nice work!  Perfect timing for me to get some beta, as I am planning on heading up this weekend.  Another reason why T-A-Y is the best website in the world.

Here's a shot of Jim on the approach: (the Roman Wall was definitely a superb ski)

Sounds like a blast!  How far of a hike is it to where Jim is skiing from where you park your cars at the trailhead on Deadhorse Creek rd?  I'm going this Tuesday and it's my first time on Baker.  

This route is not off Deadhorse Creek Road, if my take on which roads are what is correct. I've seen you posting on a separate thread for Skyline Divide - the route Russ and I skied is one road over (I think it's called Glacier Creek Road, but am not sure, but in any case we started at the Heliotrope Ridge trailhead, and so went straight where you would turn left to drive up to Skyline Divide). With that all said, we were about 3 hours (ish) from our car where this photo was taken. We were on glaciated terrain, and so were taking care to navigate around crevasses (and to stay on our skis if/when not roped). Wouldn't be my vote for a great solo route nor for a party w/o anyone with any glacier experience.

Reply to this TR

july-3-2003-baker-cd-route
Jim Oker
2003-07-04 07:08:20