Home > Trip Reports > Dec 16, 2007, Paradise, MRNP

Dec 16, 2007, Paradise, MRNP

12/16/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 12/17/07 12:13pm
With 4 inches of new on the telemetry and the update (before 0730 - well done, Communications) hotline earlier forcasting a gate opening @ 9:00 AM we sailed through the open gate at 9:04 without even slowing down.  High Five - Park Service.

Weather was high overcast with forecast to deteriorate, but the light was good.  With a week's worth of freshies and a sketchy snowpack from the ground up to the raincrust we were interested in what a pit would uncover (no pun intended) on a selected east facing slope some distance from the parking lot.

A few minutes digging disclosed about 14" of freshies deposited in about 3 distinct layers, presumably for different storm cycles, possible with some buried surface hoar in between because at least one of the layers separated quite easily.  All this was on top of the same basic structure that we encountered last WEEK.  The rain crust, now down at least 14" in a total snowpack of about 127 cm on the probe, was bridging solid and strong.  The slope we had chosen was 30 - 35 degrees so we didn't expect much sloughing from the freshies on top of the crust which turned out to be the case.
With a unanimous decision to ski it Bonnie

The MadDog

and the token male

had their way, repeatedly, with the slope, followed by a luge run to Narada.

More pics posted here.

Good job Ron and gang. I'm planning a trip there on Friday. How does Bundy's and Why Not look like in terms of coverage and have you had your way with Mazama bowl yet?

Saw a pretty good size slough on the steeper slope between Bundy's and the River. 
Didn't get a look at either of the other two spots mentioned. 
Nonetheless, with last week's snow and what has fallen so far this week plus what's forecast for the rest of the week, I'd bet you'll have pretty good coverage 'bout anywhere up there. 
Let us know what you find, Scotty.

Looks like you all had your way with the slopes! I was thinking avy danger was going to be through the roof and that the road would not even open at a reasonable time, I guessed wrong. The woman enjoyed the extra day at home with me though I spent most of my sunday wishing I was skiing powder with all of you :)

Hope to get it with you all soon!

Chris

We waited for you 'til 8:15 Chris.
Turned out we had room for 3-4 more skiers in 4wd rigs as Bonnie took hers up to spot at Narada.

Not to target you, Chris, but you mentioned a couple of subjects I've been meaning to comment on lately...

Re: Avy danger, to paraphrase some pretty cool and bright guys that I know:  "Backcountry travelers should be aware that elevation and geographic distinctions are approximate and that a transition zone between dangers exists.  Remember there are avalanche safe areas in the mountains during all levels of avalanche danger."  So the trick there, IMO, and as Pete pointed out in another thread, is to get the training you need to make the local assessments to decide what angle slope you're going to be comfortable skiing given the conditions.

Also, I know that a lot of folks here grumble about the gate at Longmire and I have felt the frustrations of being stuck there as well, but considering that we're dealing with a government agency here, my personal observation is that they actually do a pretty darn good job.  While I agree with Randy that recreationalists may not be the primary reason for the PS to keep the road open to Paradise in the winter, it appears to me that the maintenance crew makes a decent effort to try to get the road open as early as practicable for those itching to get to the snow.  I have actually seen the gate open as early as 8:00 AM on mornings when there was snow fall the night before, and most of the time when the delays are onerous it is obvious that they have good reason.  Another noteworthy item is that they are usually updating the hotline much earlier now (usually before 8:00 AM) with the estimated gate opening time.  That means to me that someone has been up the road to make that assessment and reported back with an estimate before the recording was made and clearly long before the regular day shift starts.  So my perception is that they doggedly do the best they can even when we call them names and challenge their work ethic.  It also occurs to me that most government workers that I know usually like the work they do but tolerate and sometimes shake their heads and complain about the same bureaucracy we do. [/rant]  ;)

The snow on the slope we skied was so great we thought we had died and gone to Utah powder heaven!  ;D.  We actually had this little slice of heaven all to ourselves, when we had finally decided to move along to Narada Falls, was when three others showed up, but there was still some fun untracked left.  What a great day to be on the mountain  :D.

There were a few people skiing the back bowl off Mazama, we stayed on the 25 deg. slope running down the middle.  There was about a foot of light snow on a crust.  Either side seemed wind effected and much deeper.  I climbed a little ways up the high point just south of the drop in point to check out the gully that runs east from just north of the summit.  Put one ski in and gave it a stomp, got a very loud whump.  That was enough for me, back to the low angle stuff.  Totally quiet, one other small group of Tacoma Mountaineers doing tele turns.  Unreal calm day considering the forecast.  You don't know if you don't go.

Way to pull one off Ron and a damn good post. but that's normal for you.
When all is taken into account there is a lot of work going on to get some recreationalists up that mountain. Snoqualomie and Stevens are kept open because of all the bucks on big rigs rolling through with pigflesh trading places with salmon and oysters. What or rather who  is really going up to Paradise ? One last word about the park employees, sometimes it appears
thier job is easy but like ferry workers thier real job ain't directing traffic.
If you are  both skilled and lucky you'll never see what thier real skills are!
Bonnie looks like a candidate for one of those powder days at Hogsback

ron-
thanks for the great post, you have given me inspiration to ski Paradise soon! I miss it up there already.

No offense taken regarding the avy declaration. I am so new to the bc that I am overly cautious, and do not have much knowledge to rely on... yet. I do wish I had gone now, oh well, more pow for you guys! I hadn't heard back about a possible ride with you all and didn't want to impose with you all. Sorry about waiting for me, hope you did not really wait too long. 

mad dog and bonnie- way to rip it up there! looked like the utah powder gods bowed to you all.

ron- hope you didn't have too much fun up there with those ski bunnies!

Great work guys and looking forward to next time.

Chris

Thanks for the kind words, Robie and Chris. 
Sometimes I forget what a large part friends play in this bc skiing game.
It's not just about the skiing, is it.
It's looking like we'll have lots of options this next weekend, eh?
C'mon snow, keep it comin'!!

While dodging dogs and postholes at Hyak, Brenda says "I'll bet Ron and them are tearing it up at Paradise". I never thought they'd have opened the gate so early. Never know if you don't go.

Robie, the snow up at the Pass really dried out overnight. Much better than what we had on Sat.

Reply to this TR

dec-16-2007-paradise-mrnp
ron j
2007-12-17 20:13:37