Home > Trip Reports > June 28-29, 2003, Dege Peak and vicinity

June 28-29, 2003, Dege Peak and vicinity

6/28/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Joedabaker on 6/29/03 11:00pm
The wait for the Sunrise road to open is over! Seven corn starved farmers took to the hills. Five of the ski party had not heard or seen Dege. They were thrilled to see the aspect of the peak. The trail is mostly clear. There was not a cloud in the sky on Saturday and a brief lightning storm on Sunday and clearing to windy and warm weather. The main chute is still skiable and smooth. The corn was fairly fast and sweet ;D! it skied like it was a groomed run after the group decended it several times. Another ski we did was continuing from the Sunrise lookout (hairpin) to Dege. Continue straight where the switch goes the last .3 to Dege and go down and up 1/4 mile to the next peak South of Dege. We skied into the bowl East-ish facing. This was the best snow of the weekend, although steep, but not as steep as Dege. We booted out all of the runs, no skins. Great day of skiing! There was another skier(s) in a bronze color Izuzu that waved to us by the Sunrise Hairpin. I did not respond by the time I recognized that they had waved and skis on their vehicle. They moved on. I apologize to them I was not trying to be unfriendly. In reality I was moving a little mentally slow at that time in the afternoon and the cold beer was my focus! ;)
Nice turns on Dege, Joe.
We were up there both days as well.  Must have been Sat. when the Izuzu skiers wave at you.  That was Robie with our group.  He's the guy with the suspenders (4th from the left):

We also waved at some pretty happy skiers at the Dege hairpin on Sunday afternoon after looking at the additional tracks on Dege.  Was that you guys again?
Don't remember the vehicle but it looked like some Pocket Rockets going on the roof rack (ain't that just like a skier?).  We were in a white Blazer.
Anyway, maybe we should organize a bigger party next year!!!

Thanks Ron for the kind words. The Pocket Rockets were  those of another 2 friends who got to the mountain a little earlier than us on Sunday. Fortunatly the skies cleared out somewhat after the thunderstorms. A couple of Park Rangers were trying to divert us from scrambling up the other run South of Dege. We were not foiled, we went around them at their request. As soon as they were out of sight up the hill we went on snow patches. We saw them leering at us over the deminished cornices as we booted out of the basin. I have seen Robie's Trooper at several hikes. Some day we will hook up-especially for next years Dege opening. It has become a rite of passage. I am thinking about Nisqually some day in the holiday weekend. Unfortunatly the 4th is out. Talk about lack of Independence. By the way- great picture of the crew! I left my camara in my other car both days. A side note-one of our crew hiked the whole day Sunday in sandles and slung his (215cm) skis and boots over his shoulders. Talk about traveling light-Old School meets Apostle.
Take care -Joe

Reply to this TR

june-28-29-2003-dege-peak-and-vicinity
Joedabaker
2003-06-30 06:00:59