Home > Trip Reports > Dec 14, 2007, Ottomite, Coquihalla, BC

Dec 14, 2007, Ottomite, Coquihalla, BC

12/14/07
Canada BC
Posted by runningclouds on 12/16/07 1:13pm
Always eager to explore new areas I joined a BCMC trip to the other side of Coquihalla Highway (other meaning not Needle Peak). Snowing heavily overnight the white stuff kept coming down throughout the day. I did not see much but the glimpses offered some very spectacular landscape. I'll have to go back in better weather to see where I actually were. Some pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72157603478881249/

ROAD: Coquihalla Hwy plowed and sanded. No problem getting to the Zopkios Ridge rest area.

SNOWPACK: Did not do any tests. Observed no natural activity, no cracking or whumping. Leeward side near the summit had wind affected area where the snow was breaking up into small slabs but nothing slid.

SKIING: Bottomless powder. Pretty dry for coast mountains. No point turning on anything less than 30°. Skied some 40° and short 45° without release.

BEWARE OF THIEVES: Sad to report but someone tried to break into at least one of the cars parked at the rest area. For whatever reason they did not succeed but it might be wise to hide whatever you are leaving in your car and take your ID valuables with you.

Merry Xmas
Ottomite?  S of Zoa right or was it directly across the shed from Needle ie S of Yak-Nak?

Nice pictures given the amount of snow.   

Thanks for the report. I was wondering how things were doing out that way. Any chance you've been out to the Manning Park area recently?

Leel: We took the forest road that starts just behind the restroom/warming hut and parallels the highway SW for a bit, then headed off into the tree. Not sure where I did not have a compass on me. But it was more across the highway from Needle Peak (i.e south of Yak-Nak). Where did we go?

Matt C: I have not been to Manning yet.

rc - I checked and its a named peak.  nice ski destination with quality runs, if a bit short.  Just never knew its name

Reply to this TR

dec-14-2007-ottomite-coquihalla-bc
runningclouds
2007-12-16 21:13:09