Home > Trip Reports > June 29, 2003, Mt Adams, Adams Glacier

June 29, 2003, Mt Adams, Adams Glacier

6/29/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by alpentalcorey on 6/29/03 10:22am
After a excellent night of sleep at our high camp, we were climbing at 6:15, about 3 hours earlier than the day before.  We were looking at either the Adams glacier or the N face of the NW ridge, but we were still hoping to run into Ben & Jason and see if they had any other interesting ideas.  As it turns out, we never ran into them as they left Saturday evening after skiing Friday & Saturday.  We took a much better route onto the N ridge saving us time and we made the summit at around 11.  We thought we'd wait at the summit on the chance that they would show up, but the winds were picking up and it looked like clouds might be moving in.  We decided to drop in, deciding on the Adams glacier because we could ski from the summit without hiking up to west peak and the bootpack from the day's climbers would help in navigation (2-3 climbing teams and a ranger that solo climbed it - he was really cool climbed S side with skis / left skis on summit & decended N ridge, then climbed Adams glacier to get back to his skis and ski out S side) although we had literally stared at the line for hours and practically had it memorized.  The snow was slightly firm at the top, but still very easy to turn in.  It turned to nice corn lower down and we had nice turns for a long ways on a long smooth section on skiers' left of the glacier.  There was a big crevasse to wind around and some cool sections of intense views into the glacier to the right, and then it was a nice long cruiser that led us right back to our camp.  Both Sky and I were grinning ear to ear, overjoyed at such a sucessful weekend with such nice snow and amazing scenery.  We both vow to return to the N side of Adams.  The only slight bummer on the trip was that Sky's camera jammed and he was unable to take any pictures.  On the other hand, skiing without the camera allowed us to make more fluid decents and focus on the skiing.  
Nice trip, I was thinking of heading down that way later this week and was wondering what the NFNWR was looking like.  Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Ross

To me, it looked very good. If I had had an extra day, I think I would want to be there skiing NFNWR right now.  There's a big cliff at the bottom that has to be negotiated, but I believe it is always that way.  The snow looked pretty smooth as far as I could tell.  I couldn't really say how long it will be in, but later this week should be fine, at least I would think so.

Reply to this TR

june-29-2003-mt-adams-adams-glacier
alpentalcorey
2003-06-29 17:22:37