Home > Trip Reports > 12/10-12/12 little cottonwood canyon, utah

12/10-12/12 little cottonwood canyon, utah

12/10/07
US elsewhere
Posted by filbo on 12/15/07 2:13am
arrived day after the dump.  hiked and skied across the hiway from alta.  decent coverage but still early season, first day was excellent deep pow, the last two were a bit crusty on top but nothing like crust up here.  still lots of protected stashes on the other side of the ridge once summited.  all in all a satisfying trip for jonesing for early season pow.  the resorts are still only partialy open and waiting for some more storms to hit their stride.
author=filbo link=topic=8497.msg34031#msg34031 date=1197742407]
arrived day after the dump.  hiked and skied across the hiway from alta.   decent coverage but still early season, first day was excellent deep pow, the last two were a bit crusty on top but nothing like crust up here.   still lots of protected stashes on the other side of the ridge once summited.  all in all a satisfying trip for jonesing for early season pow.   the resorts are still only partialy open and waiting for some more storms to hit their stride.

Was that Mt. Superior that you were riding?  How do stability seem? 

Sounds like it was a pow fest!!!!!  Always wanted to check 'the other side of road'.

superior didn't have enough snow high up, skied the two peaks before it probably be a while until its ready.

Awesome!!!!

That is my hometown. I have been skiing those ridges since I was a young lad.
That ridge, "Emma Ridge" can be great skiing at times for sure. The best time to get it is in the spring though. It is almost due south facing, so the crustiness you described is not surprising. That is some of the best corn in Utah though.

I have had some SICK days on the ridge in the winter though. That is one of the safest places to tour in the winter because they do control work there.
Unfortunately the PowderBirds get those stashes often as well.

Thanks for sharing!!!!
Now, I am really jonsing to get back and go touring!!!

Bryan Curtis

Reply to this TR

12-10-12-12-little-cottonwood-canyon-utah
filbo
2007-12-15 10:13:27